The Diesel Garage banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well the deal on the first dually i was going to buy fell through but i found another that i really like. my question to all you guru's is this dually has 4.10 gearing versus the other one had 3.73, how much different in the gas mileage is the 2 different gearing options. also will the 4.10 be ok for highway trips or do they do better around town? i dont have a huge trailer that i pull now but i ride quads and i will be driving around to various off-road parks with it and i just want to make sure that the 4.10 wont be hurt with alot of highway driving. also what affect does highway driving have on the trans with the 4.10 gears? thanks in advance BILL

·
TDG MAFIA #101
390 Posts
I would say that 4:10's would do better highway mileage, just like anything else (not trying to be wise). I have never heard about 4:10's being bad on tranny's (my dad has owned 2 or 3 with them). A 30-06 bullet will though, he did find that out! LOL LOL I think you will be ok, you will probably get a little worse fuel mileage than one with 3:73's but think of it as you have more there for if you ever want to tow alot.

·
Former Ford AutoTrans Eng
169 Posts
tm0231009 said:
I would say that 4:10's would do better highway mileage,.....you will probably get a little worse fuel mileage than one with 3:73's
So you're saying that it will get better fuel mileage with 4.10s, while getting worse fuel mileage with 4.10s? :shrug:

How can it be better AND worse at the same time? :believe

Highway mileage will be worse with the 4.10s. The engine will turn 10% faster at a given speed with the 4.10 compared to the 3.73. That will probably be less than 10% difference in fuel economy. In city driving the 4.10 will probably be the same to slightly better.

·
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i asked the owner of the truck what kind of mileage he gets and he said about 17mpg's with the 4.10's, any truth to that? what are you guys getting?

·
TDG MAFIA #101
390 Posts
indyF-350psd said:
also will the 4.10 be ok for highway trips or do they do better around town?
This was the question I was answering when I said it would get better milage on highway. I didn't mean that they would get better mileage than 3:73's highway. Didn't mean to cause confusion. I just assumed that he knew what I meant when he said thanks.

·
Got Torque?
2,577 Posts
I have a 2003 dually with 4.10's. When it was totally stock, I would get between 16 and 19.5 MPG if I took it easy. if I hammered it a lot, I was around 13-16. That was a long time ago. Now I am heavily modded, so it does not matter, and running 4.88's!

Ralph

ps, honestly, if the difference between 3.73's and 4.10's will make or break you, don't get the truck.

·
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
the difference wont break me. its going to get better mileage than my f-150 that was all jacked up. i was just curious about the differences, if they were dramatically different or barely noticeable. my f-150 only got 200 miles to the tank when i was towing. this thing has got to be better than that! where did you get that hood ralph?

·
Got Torque?
2,577 Posts
If you do an even mix of highway and city, you won't notice much at all from 3.73 to 4.10. Where one is better in the city (4.10's), the other is better on the highway (3.73's).

If you drive a lot of highway, you will see 1-2 lower with 4.10's. Nothing to worry about if you ask me.

Ralph

·
Banned
6,478 Posts
I have the 4:10's running down the HWY I can get 17-18 the trick is to keep the RPM's at or under 2000. With the 4:10 that puts you at just under 65 mph.
I wish I had the 3:73's

·
Got Torque?
2,577 Posts
Let's say you get 17 with the 4.10's and 19 with 3.73's (I doubt it will even be 2 MPG better, but for arguments sake). And you drive 20K a year and fuel is $3.50 a gallon.

It works to $433 more per year with 4.10's. If the difference is only 1PMG (more likely), then it is only $217 difference. It doesn't add up to a whole lot. It is 3-4 extra fill ups at 2MPG less per year. All in all, not that big a deal.

Ralph

·
589 Posts
you willl see a little lower mpg with 4:10`s. But the 4:10`s will pull a load alot better than the 3:73`s will. But bif you ever lift you truck a little and go up to a 35" tire it will be like you have a 3/;73 ratio with out having to regear! that saves ya some $ on regearing!! Just my 2 cents! Hope this deal works out for ya!! :Thumbup:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts