The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
2,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so I'm getting ready to swap out my 4.10's to 4.56's

dose anyone have any good tips for making the process a little easier and faster.

I've never had a d60 apart before so that is new territory.

on the sterling rearend is there anyone that makes a cheap gear install shim kit so I don't have to guess and order a bunch of those thick spacers?

thanks for the help
Ross

·
beware the dark side
125 Posts
take you time is the best advice i can give you when i rebuilt my rear axle i was kinda in a hurry and ended up only lasting bout 500 miles before it went out again. i got the shim kit for the 10.5 from ford and it came with like 20 shims in diff thicknesses. have not done my d60 front diff yet but when i get the rear one done it will have diff gears in it so the front one will be next. Keep us updated on how it goes for you.

·
128 Posts
Let me know if your 4.10's are re-useable and in good shape. Been thinking about going to them.

·
2,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I ordered some install kits from west coast differintials today, that are suppost to come with everything needed, I will let you know how it goes.:thumbsup

I havent decided what I am going to do with the old gears but The rear ones were a mismached set, I busted a ring gear last fall and through a used one in with out replaceing the pinion, not exactly the best situation but it got me to the next pull plus through th winter so I cant complain, but I would fell bad about selling them to some one, as for the front I may just hang on to them in case I decide I want to go back in the future.

·
2,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

just about to get this all wrapped up. it diffinatly has taken some patiences. I think I had to pull the bearings off the front diff carrier 6 times before I got the back lash and depth all set right. it is all done except for the driveshaft and cover.

the back gears were a lot easier to set since the shims are on the out side of the bearings, but I still had to have it apart several times before I got everything where i wanted it. all I have to do to the rear is pull it back apart one more time in the morning to install the crush sleve and the seal

·
622 Posts

just about to get this all wrapped up. it diffinatly has taken some patiences. I think I had to pull the bearings off the front diff carrier 6 times before I got the back lash and depth all set right. it is all done except for the driveshaft and cover.

the back gears were a lot easier to set since the shims are on the out side of the bearings, but I still had to have it apart several times before I got everything where i wanted it. all I have to do to the rear is pull it back apart one more time in the morning to install the crush sleve and the seal

I always hated changing gears laying on my back. Nice job:thumbsup

·
2,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
finished the swap this afternoon, it wasn't as bad of a project as I had anticipated but still not something I want to do all the time, it can be a bit aggravating at times.
the truck now turns about 2800rpm at 70 mph

1 - 7 of 7 Posts