The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
truckn'
1,720 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anyone have one? if so, how do you like it? Im drooling over a 06 F550 lariat 4x4 with an auto for 31k...but im sure it has 4.88 rears...Thanks

·
26 tires rolling
929 Posts
well my X had a 450 with the 4.88's and a gear vendors to pull her horse trailer. Against my better recommendations she would pull the hills and go down the back sides with the gear vendors in high range. That wiped out the gear vendors catastrophically. Gear vendors stepped up and replaced the unit but said they wouldn't replace it again for the same failure. about 4 months after that the transmission shat the bed going through El Paso

Im on the fence about weather or not i would have another truck with one again. I think the US Gear unit might be a better choice for towing

·
1,581 Posts
It's important to note they are not designed for the heavy towing the F550 was designed for.
They are for running empty in double OD, when loaded you have to run in direct.

It's too bad US Gear doesn't make one to fit a 5R110 (at least they didn't last I checked)

·
truckn'
1,720 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
They make an application for the 550. Youd think if they made a specific application for it that theyd know you are going to use the 550 for what you bought it for.

·
1,581 Posts
Sounds like you have it all figured out then.

·
truckn'
1,720 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
that wasnt a smart @zz comment or anything..i was just saying:happymugs

·
1,581 Posts
that wasnt a smart @zz comment or anything..i was just saying:happymugs
From their website:

"If you tow commercially or use your truck loaded as part of your daily earning, you are very different from the majority of our customers who tow only recreationally. For commercial equipment use, hauling horse, cattle, equipment, or delivering RV trailers or Boats - we recommend a maximum load of 25,000 gross combined including the truck. You will note that this rating is 17% under our max in the recreational use because of the increased hours of continuous duty which breakdown the lubricity of the fluid protecting our components.

If you are commercially loaded and over 25,000# combined, than it is not recommended to use our product. If you fall within the weight but work the truck over 65k miles per year we recommend our commercial cooler. Reverse capacity is also something you should discuss with us as many commercial users exceed our limits when backing their loads."

F550's have a GCWR up to 33,000lbs, their unit is rated for recreational use only to 30,000lbs.

I didn't see an application for a 5R110 on their site either.
So technically, they do not have an application for a '06 F550.

I suppose you could buy a F550, install one and never load the truck to it's max capacity, but if you had a problem, you might run into some resistance in the warranty dept.

:shrugs

If you're going to do all that, you'd be better of just installing a set of 4.30 or 4.10 gears (for less than $3000)

·
590 Posts
last may i installed a new gear vendor unit on the back of the nv4500 in my 3500hd [gmc] i converted this one to a 5.9 cummins, from a 6.5. thus far i have only logged about 8k miles on the truck, and have done less then 1k of that with a trailer loaded to no more then 14,000lbs. the truck has the 4.63 gears, and the engine is a base line 160hp. about two weeks ago the gear vendor started acting up[ about a week out of warranty] . they sent me a solenoid, and after changeing the fluid/ filter + the solenoid, things got better briefly. upon changeing the fluid, there was lot's of metal in the unit. in no way or shape did i abuse the product, and no one else drove the truck either. about 30 mi after the serviceing, things went from bad to worse. they stood by the warranty, and sent me a new unit. this one is smoother shifting then the old one ever was. i really like the unit, and if this one serves me well, i would buy another one if the need ever came about. however if it fails prematurely like the last one, i will not own another nor reccomend one. i would not have one on a vehicle that tows more then gear vendors factory rateings. u.s gear makes a nice unit, but like their cylone fan, they are subject to drop a product from their lineup. they did not offer one for a nv4500 2wd, yet they did a few years back.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts