The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
560 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, this has probably been covered, but here it is again:

The oil pressure "guage" in the 03+ trucks is fake...it is computer generated and the sending unit in the block is not a sending unit, it is a 7psi switch...

I installed a guage in mine this past weekend...getting 22psi idle hot and 60ish cruising at 55mph...at cold it seems to top out around 75-80psi (at 45*F ambient)...it also takes about 5 seconds to get oil pressure...

The rest of the guages, although heavily dampened, are accurate (temp/volt)...but the oil pressure is so fake and inaccurate it isn't funny!!

Get a guage!!

steved

·
560 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There are I guess three options...pull off the top of the filter head, pull of a "T" off the existing sender (driver's side of the block, metric thread), pull off a fitting just forward of the existing sender (metric fitting again)...

I'm pulled off the filter head...actually off the 1/4inch line that feeds my bypass filter about a foot from the OEM filter head...it is by far the easiest...although the general consensus is to pull from the driver's side of the block, further downstream.

steved

·
560 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Bouncer said:
Same is true on the second gens.

Bill
My second gen was real (at least I am pretty sure it was)...it acted more "normal" than the 3rd gen guages anyway...time to oil pressure at startup varied, pressure varied with miles on the oil, etc...and they are a true sender, not just a switch...at least on the 99 I owned.

steved

·
6,337 Posts
Just a warning, I have gone thru three sending units (autometer). This is on a PSD but...

·
560 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
CSIPSD said:
Just a warning, I have gone thru three sending units (autometer). This is on a PSD but...
I hope by having mine installed in a hydraulic line away from the engine...should act like a snubber and keep the heat and vibrations down...I hope anyway...

steved

B

·
0 Posts
steved said:
My second gen was real (at least I am pretty sure it was)...
steved

I could be wrong, but I am almost certain atleast on the 2nd gen 12v motors that the sending unit signal goes through the ECM and it converts to the approriate amperage/voltage before it reaches your dash gauge.

Bill

·
560 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Bouncer said:
I could be wrong, but I am almost certain atleast on the 2nd gen 12v motors that the sending unit signal goes through the ECM and it converts to the approriate amperage/voltage before it reaches your dash gauge.

Bill
That might be, but it is still an "actual" or "real" pressure versus the new one that the ECM makes up based on RPM, temp, load, etc...the only thing the newer ECMs know about the oil pressure for sure is that it is either more than 7psi or less than 7psi...

The sending unit in the 3rd gens is nothing more than a 7psi switch...not a variable sending unit...and it takes the ECM 3 minutes to respond to a "no pressure" situation...that's 3 minutes without any oil pressure...:shootself:

steved

1 - 10 of 10 Posts