The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Take your truck to any midas muffler and for 45 bucks have them cut the muffler out and weld a piece of pipe in place....Saves Hundreds on exhaust. Mine is an 03 with no catalytic converters and i get more compliments on a stock straight piped truck than buddies with 1000 dollar exhaust kits

·
Registered
95 Posts
Thats the way to do it! Thats what I did. No need to waste the money unless you want a fancy exhaust tip.

·
Mafia member 46
555 Posts
Stacks do sound even better IMHO!

·
Registered
13 Posts
muffler delete

I heard that you can buy a bolt on piece in place of the muffler?? I have a catalytic converter ('06 dodge) would that play a factor in deleting the muffler?

·
6,337 Posts
For the cat you can, I have not seen a muffler bolt on, as it is welded or clamped inplace.

·
1,073 Posts

·
1,073 Posts
I used SS band clamps on mine. I love it. I was a easy install. I just did 3 lenght wise cuts on each side of the muffler and pealed it back to get it off. This way if I got a fix it ticket I could put it back on and have it inspected tham swap it back to a strait pipe. If you cut off the muff and weld it than its not a easy change like this. This is a simple do it your self install. SS band clamps or aluminized are the only way to go. Mine been on for about 12000 miles and I just love the sound.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Nephew straight piped his '03, sounds great from in the cab but sounds like an old farm tractor from outside :) I opted to keep mine stock but am now looking for a '04-04.5 elbow/downpie before going to a Nelson muffler.

(Wife doesn't like a loud truck)

·
Registered
4 Posts
what kind of gas milage yall gettin? i just unbolted the muffler and left the sutt collector on my 06. sounds good but i went from 20 to 14mpg...no good. And im not always in it..just when people are stupid and i have to go around them in a hurry and blow smoke at convertables here in the state of florida it hapens alot

·
Registered
9 Posts
Can you take off the canister lookin' thing in front of the muffler too?

·
Registered
23 Posts
I'm looking for a muffler to go back on my 2006. Removed the original to let it breath more. It does but is loud. Sounds just like a truck with no muffler, just loud. Anybody running a after market opened muffler?

·
Registered
17 Posts
TJcummins said:
Can you take off the canister lookin' thing in front of the muffler too?
you can but that is the resonator, you better be ready to p-off the boys in blue, because it will be awful loud, luckily my truck didnt have that or a cat, just a muffler, so i just cut her out, and made me a homemade straight pipe for about 30 bucks... :woot:

·
180 Posts
All I did was just cut about 4 inches from the brackets of the muffler....measure how long you need... bell each end.... slide it on weld in place... (of course you can gut your cat or just straight cut it off...) Mine is sorta sectioned if you want to call it that... and ....well.... the drone is perfect + only used like 60 bucks of flexpipe... compared to 600 dollar Magnaflow which is THE EXACT SAME....

Straight Pipes ftw.... if you want to everyone to think your a teenage gas-driving lunatic you can go glasspacks but im sure everyone will laugh at you...

Never really did like the Stack's Sound and Look :-/ sorry for those w/ it just.... some trucks look good w/ them.... some dont.... mine is a dont... :-/

1 - 20 of 21 Posts