The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, finally finished my fuel system. Now how do I get the fuel flowing. Since I took the stock system apart and put in a new system I assume I need to prime the system. I assume this after running the pump several times and my new prepump filters are not filling up. Any suggestions? Got too dark to take pics. Will take pics hopefully tomorrow.

Tim

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
If fuel is getting to the pick up tube and the pump is working, it should prime itself, just run the pump for a bit.

·
TDG MAFIA MEMBER #71
1,288 Posts
Did you piece the system together? If so how much did it cost you?

·
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
POWER STROKE 99 said:
Did you piece the system together? If so how much did it cost you?
Yes, I pieced the system together. I've probably got about $500 into it, mainly because I went with expensive AN race fittings which I got from Doug Herberts and Summit. Could probably do the system a lot cheap, with different fittings.

I probably need to prefill the spin-on filters?

Tim

·
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This is my first time doing a complete fuel system. Do I need to add an orifice to bleed the air? I thought the return line would act as my air bleed.

·
2,509 Posts
you could try putting a little bit of air pressure to the tank to try and force fuel up to the pump. just dont get to carried away it dosent take much pressure to swell them tanks up. I usuall just hold a rag and air blower over the filler neck so I can feel how much I'm getting in there, and have some one run the pump while your doing it.

·
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
Did you put a new suction tube in your tank? Is the fitting on the fuel pump standard or metric?? Anyway what a neat homebrewed fuel system!!

·
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
GSXRTURBOQUAD said:
What is the micron rating on your filters?
Unfortunately I cannot find any micron ratings for these filters. Not sure why Napa does not print the micron rating. When I change these I'll probably go to Fleetguard filters. I'm sure these two filters are getting my fuel cleaner than that little factory bowl.

Tim

·
TDG MAFIA MEMBER #71
1,288 Posts
By deleting the fuel bowl, what happens to the water in fuel sensor..can it be remounted to work correctly

·
Slow 6.0
1,554 Posts
so how did this affect cackle and overall engine noise?

·
TDG MAFIA MEMBER #71
1,288 Posts

·
Registered
596 Posts
To find the micron rating for any napa filter go to the wix filter site and put your part number in the search. All NAPA filters are built by wix and use similar part numbers. A NAPA Gold oil filter number 1515 is a WIX 51515, etc. You can just use the cross ref at the wix filter site though.

·
TDG MAFIA MEMBER #71
1,288 Posts
Power Stroke said:
i know what a reg return is supposed to do but i wanted to hear from him what his personal experience has been.
:shrug: LOL LOL LOL LOL

·
Slow 6.0
1,554 Posts
POWER STROKE 99 said:
:shrug: LOL LOL LOL LOL
nice taillights :Thumbup:

·
TDG MAFIA MEMBER #71
1,288 Posts
Thanks.....got them on ebay 40 bucks

·
1,726 Posts
Power Stroke said:
i know what a reg return is supposed to do but i wanted to hear from him what his personal experience has been.
I haven't seen the original poster on here much lately so I am not sure if you will get a answer from him.

I put a system much like this on my 96. The older Powerstokes have a fuel system that is a "regulated return" from the factory but they use a mechanical fuel pump. I removed the stock fuel pump, filter housing, and regulator on my truck and insalled a SD electric fuel pump, remote mount fuel filters and a regulator like the orginal poster has. I have absolutely no injector crackel, but I didn't have any before I did this either (because the OBS stock fuel system doesn't have that problem)

I do think the switch from a mechanical pump to electric gave me a slightly smoother idle.

Hopefully somebody with a SD will share their experience on the fuel system change but I haven't seen anyone post that they were sorry they did it.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts