The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 1986 ford f350 dually with a 6.9l diesel and i need help. my glow plugs arent working at all the glow plug light wont come on in the cab and the previous owner put a push start button in but you still have to turn the key on to start it and the glow plugs still wont work and have to use starting fluid can someone help me out

·
1,060 Posts
I cant help you with this issue to your truck ( I would start by checking fuses and relays)...But if you were to have asked this question in the Ford 7.3 and 6.9 (pre 94) section I am sure you Will get more readers with a better understanding of your issue and your truck. You might want to ask a moderator to move your thread for you. As this section is for help with navigating and using the site not so much of help with truck issues.
Good Luck!! Trip

Reactions: dirtrider490

·
Super Moderator
4,247 Posts
Buttons are BAD, you can easily overheat the GPs and burn the tips off, that is why they were built with controllers for the GP system.

Ether = VERY BAD, it will blow the GP tips off, can easily crack the pistons and washes lube from the cylinder walls. All are bad.

There are two types of GP systems on the 6.9L/7.3L IDI engines, the older relay based system that uses 12V GPs, which is often refered to as the "slow start" system; and the later "Fast Start" system that uses 6V GPs and a consolidated GP controller at the center rear of the engine.

I would suspect that all the GPs are burned out and that is why they won't work, although it could be something else like a bad relay or connection. I would start by checking each GP to see if it is good, if you find more than 3 bad ones, replace them ALL with OEM (Beru is the brand) from your Ford or International dealer.

Reactions: dirtrider490
1 - 3 of 3 Posts