The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have checked the glow plugs and replaced them and also replaced the glow plug relay so i think the control sensor might be bad any input is useful because i need this truck to work

·
TDG MAFIA
730 Posts
More information will help us help you better. What are you having difficult starting it? Have you verified the glow plugs are not working? Also we need to know the year of your truck because there are two different types of glow plug systems that are very different.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
glow plug problem

its a 1986 ford f 350 dually 6.9l idi having trouble starting it glow plugs dont seem to work changed them and the relay the previous owner installed a push star button key still needed. used either to start after running it starts right up again.

·
TDG MAFIA
730 Posts
Ok put that can of ether away, its actually a bad idea to use on our trucks. The push button for the glow plugs is a common modification for the 6.9 IDI Glow plug system, because some have problems with the controller on the back of the block. Take a test light and attach it to the ground and have a buddy turn on the key and do this to all 8 and verify if your getting any power to the plugs. Does your wait to start light come on? Also make sure the glowplugs in the motor are only Motorcraft as most others expecially Autolites will burn the tip off and fall into your intake causing BIG problems.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
the wait to start light does not come on the push button is only to crank the motor over the key is still needed to turn on the power for the cab and other electronics ill try the wiring to the plugs to see if they get power what do i ground the test light to

·
Super Moderator
4,247 Posts
It sounds like the main engine connector in the RH side inner fender area may be a problem. Over time the connections can get loose or corroded and if that happens the GP system might not work and the starter might not work normally.

Personally, I HATE that "slow-start" 12V GP system I have ripped it off every truck I had with it and installed the updated "Fast Start" system which is MUCH more reliable.

You could have a bad controller, loose power or ground wire to it, or even a bad relay for the GP system. Those are a bear to correctly diagnose, luck is your best bet with the "Slow Start" system :(

1 - 6 of 6 Posts