The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what is recommended for a stock truck or are there better aftermarket ones?
prob do new glow plugs before winter had some cold start problems last year.any links to changing them ?

thanks

·
Super Moderator
4,247 Posts
Pit,

The Power Stocke engines DO NOT typically need glow plug replacement, be SURE you test them before wasting your hard-earned $$$ on parts that still work as new.

The most common causes for hard starting relating the the GP system are: Bad (worn out) Glow Plug relay, and bad connections to the GPs at the "UVC" (Under Valve Cover) harness.

With the Wait To Start light ON, check the battery voltage at BOTH large terminals of the GPR (Glow Plug Relay), they MUST be the same measured to BATTERY GROUND, or at least within 1/2 volt of each other. Again, with the WTS light on.

If they are not the same voltage, then make sure the GPR is actually working. With the WTS light on, there should be battery voltage on one of the small terminals of the GPR, and ground on the other. If this is true, the GPR is bad. Replace and re-test.

·
In the passing lane
1,453 Posts
STROKER #1 said:
Just dont buy AUTOLITE.:deal:
whats wrong with autolite??

·
812 Posts
STROKER #1 said:
Just dont buy AUTOLITE.:deal:
i have heard the same thing, when i replaced mine i used international and they work great.

·
190 Posts
joebob3093 said:
i have heard the same thing, when i replaced mine i used international and they work great.
They are brittle and break off in the head :) Get the ones from Autozone the motorcraft ones with "beru" on them.

·
750 Posts
Check them

You can check the glow plugs right at the 4 plugs on the valvecover gasket, when you pull the plug the 2 glow plugs are the outer most pins in the connector( one on each end) on the gasket side. Use a Ohm meter Black on ground and red on the outer most pin to check it. The ohm's need to be less then 2.0 homs. for it to be good.
On a 99 and up the glowplugs are the 2 outer pins on each end of the plug.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts