The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guys, I just bought an 07 LBZ and everything is perfect on it. This is my first Duramax or diesel for that matter so this may sound like a silly question. But I ran my very first tank of diesel low and on the way to get more my glowplug light came on and didn't go off until I put diesel in it. Or shut the engine off and cranked it up. I thought at first it was the low fuel light but after a day or so I thought that was a silly thought. I'm sure it would say "low fuel" on the info panel on the dash. No check engine light, should I get it checked at autozone?

·
Mafia member #105
2,262 Posts
Ok guys, I just bought an 07 LBZ and everything is perfect on it. This is my first Duramax or diesel for that matter so this may sound like a silly question. But I ran my very first tank of diesel low and on the way to get more my glowplug light came on and didn't go off until I put diesel in it. Or shut the engine off and cranked it up. I thought at first it was the low fuel light but after a day or so I thought that was a silly thought. I'm sure it would say "low fuel" on the info panel on the dash. No check engine light, should I get it checked at autozone?

Were abouts are you seeing this light at. The glow plug light is in the upper left corner or the dash. The low fuel light is in the middle of the fuel gauge and when you are very very low it will say low on fuel. Yes i would go and ge the truck scanned for codes for the heck of it is the check engine light on?

·
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Rip, thanks for the info. The previous owner gave me bad info. I tracked down an owners manual and read up on it. The light I'm seeing IS the low fuel light ( next to the fuel gauge ) which I was told was the glowplug light. I didn't think anything about it since I've never owned a diesel and I didn't have any other unexplained lights on the dash (like the real glowplug light) to make me think otherwise. Now that I've ID'd the glowplug light I've realized that it never lights up. It's 100 degrees outside. Does it not need to come? I have no check engine light at all. I guess I will get it checked for codes. Sheeesh.

·
CRAZY CANUCK
4,320 Posts
the glow plug light will come on when its fairly cool, and only for a short time after the ignition is turned on, once it goes out you can start the engine

the glowplug light (or 'wait to start' light) is in the upper left hand corner of the instrument cluster, and looks like two loops together

·
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
BWR, thanks. So it only comes on when it's cooler outside huh? That makes me feel better! Still learning about this duramax. Thanks for the help guys I really do appreciate it.

·
CRAZY CANUCK
4,320 Posts
According to my EFI live my glowplugs are programmed to turn on at about 68* for only 2 seconds, then at 50* and lower they turn on for 3 seconds, but when you turn on your key just watch for the light, and if its on dont start the truck until it turns off and then you're good to go :thumbsup

just as an fyi the glow plugs stay on a lot longer after the engine is started, they can run for as long as 1.5 minutes after startup when it is really cold, it just helps to warm up the engine faster

·
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well it's literally 100 degrees here and I have yet to see the glow plug light come on for even a split second. Not even a flicker.

·
CRAZY CANUCK
4,320 Posts
Well it's literally 100 degrees here and I have yet to see the glow plug light come on for even a split second. Not even a flicker.
It wont at that temp, its not supposed to, also as an FYI the LBZ also uses a grid heater in the intake as well as glowplugs to help speed up warmups in the cold

·
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well alrighty then. That makes me feel a lot better. Thanks for taking the time to explain to the diesel newbie. I do love this truck!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts