The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had my truck for 2 years now..in that time I have put 2 sets of rotors and 4 sets of pads..all on the front. The back looks hardly used at all..although i do think I am about ready for a new set of pads. You can see my mileage in my sig. I drive mainly Hwy (95%), and do 'bout 60k annually. Other than an over-the-bed toolbox with a bunch of tools etc and 20-25 Gallons of extra Diesel, the truck is MT.

I recently bought a set of the slotted/drilled rotors and a set of metalic pads..I have been told that these products will reduce the overall temperatures on the rotors and also allow the heat to dissipate more rapidly thereby increasing service life.

What say you guys on that one..?? ( I mean, I guess I'll find out...but I would be interested if some of you have done similar and what might I expect.?)

thanx,

stk

·
1,409 Posts
I have absolutely no issues with my brakes at all. When I had towed my 28' TT, that weighed 7k dry, I had to replace my front pads at about 55k. Since I have sold it I haven't had the need to replace any pads or rotors yet and I'm at 109k now. When I did the front brakes I took the rotors in to be turned and the machinist said they were flat, no need to turn 'em. He also said he like the GM rotors for the amount of material they have, he could turn 'em more than 50x if they weren't abused. I just have a hard time understanding how you could have gone through two sets of rotors?? Do you do the work yourself?

If you are that hard on your service brakes maybe you should look into a pacbrake? I don't think the slotted/drilled rotors will buy me much as far as brake life goes.

·
49 Posts
It could be just defective set, figure the amount of brakes that come off the line. There is bound to be a bad set or two. As far as getting more then one set of bad ones, it's possible. I purchased two brand new fuel pumps for and old truck of mine in a row and resorted to a dealer to fix the problem which turned out to be the fuel pump. The bill went from being 300 to 800 bucks. Quite frustrating. If I were you I would do the same thing though, I would look at some sort of brake upgrade now that the warranty is out.

·
'Ol Builder guy
7,051 Posts
No brake issues with me after 35,000 miles. Mine are fine.

They do push down closer to the floor than my previous Fords, which took a little while to get used to.

I'd love to do a pacbrake, but the warranty issues scare me too much.

·
Gone Fishin...
3,099 Posts
I have 95K on my original brakes and they still work great. I checked the pads at 90K and they where at 50%. No complaints at all here.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I had my previous set of rotors turned and they were toast within 35k. (One of the pads disintegrated and I had no choice but to drive some 200 miles with the rotors being chewed up). Gotta keep in mind I drive in Northern Ontario where you can go 250-300 miles without a trace of human inhabitation..let alone a garage.! Literally tons of salt and mixed pea gravel/sand on the roads in the winter..so life is hard on equipment up here. This latest set has gone 20,000 miles since they were put on...I have the slotted rotors/pads sitting in my garage for when I need em..gonna see how long the current set lasts.

One thing I have been doing lately is using my tow/haul button when the need arises to brake going downhill...works like a charm..and definitely eases up on the brake usage. I see no issue doing it either. Its an Allison.!

cheers,

stk

·
'Ol Builder guy
7,051 Posts
I had my previous set of rotors turned and they were toast within 35k. (One of the pads disintegrated and I had no choice but to drive some 200 miles with the rotors being chewed up). Gotta keep in mind I drive in Northern Ontario where you can go 250-300 miles without a trace of human inhabitation..let alone a garage.! Literally tons of salt and mixed pea gravel/sand on the roads in the winter..so life is hard on equipment up here. This latest set has gone 20,000 miles since they were put on...I have the slotted rotors/pads sitting in my garage for when I need em..gonna see how long the current set lasts.

One thing I have been doing lately is using my tow/haul button when the need arises to brake going downhill...works like a charm..and definitely eases up on the brake usage. I see no issue doing it either. Its an Allison.!

cheers,

stk
Then how can you blame GM for having brakes that suck if you have all those harsh conditions and you drove all those miles on a bad set of pads? That doesn't make your failed brakes GM's fault, my friend.

I use tow/haul on almost every braking situation, too. I love it, too. However, the owners manual suggests you only use it only while towing and that you can expect less than satisfactory performance with tow haul "on" while not towing anything.

What I do now is switch to manual mode and toggle the gears myself. It's great and the Ford boys are jealous of it, too. :haha

·
Registered
65 Posts
I would say the oposite, the GM brakes are the best they have ever been. I have almost 85k on my van and they are just about to be replaced. They would have lasted longer I bet but I do a lot of city driving and stop at the last second.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well. Then I certainly have an isue with mine. One that is going to get looked at this weekend. Plan to take all the calipers apart, clean - lube etc with a complete fluid change .. the works...I will admit to having let other mechanics work on that part of the truck...time I learned and got on to it myself.! dont know why, but I never learned how to do disc brakes. and everyone I know tells me they are easy...dont ask why, I dont have an answer LOl.!

Gotta say I am buoyed by all the positives from you guys..!! tells me I have a real issue with mine and that they definitely need lookin at..!!

Tomorrow...we shall see. If I remember to take my camera, I'll try to get some pics if there is anything really outa whack.

Thanx,

stk

·
truckn'
1,720 Posts
one of the company trucks at work had almost 300k on it before they replaced the pads...but they do ALOT of highway driving and when they pull a trailer they set the power up on the brake controller.

Mine has almost 80k on it, i bought it with 61k and checked the pads when i got it...they looked brand new. Let us know what you find and goodluck. Disks are easier then drums:thumbsup

·
Mafia member #105
2,262 Posts
My 2001 2500HD excab 4x4 had 132,000 miles before needing changed,and that was with alot of heavy towing and plowing,the 2006 has 39,800 and there still good also.

·
55 Posts
my friend went over 250,000 miles on his duramax before touching his. all he had to replace was the pads and one rotor lol. all he does is drive around the country pulling a 44ft gooseneck for racing. thats amazing to me.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
You know its strange...I am on my 3 rd set of front rotors..but I have always had someone do my brakes for me....NO more. I took the fronts apart this weekend..both sets of slider pins where in terrible condition...mega corrosion, no lube on them at all - I actually had to scrape them to see what condition they were actually in.! they wre so bad I needed new ones.The SS slide plates where the pads move on were also in poor condition.. so much for your local Dealer, or Canadian tire to get brakes done.

Anyway, new set of slider pins, plenty of lube, cleaned off the slide plates & lubed, scuffed up the pads, and added the new rotors I bought and man oh man what a difference.

Now the rears are another story. There was an upper slider pin (drivers side), that was completely out of its place and only held there by the rear springs.! I did not have a T55 Torx (as I found out later, that is what is used), and tried to remove the others with a 9mm Hex wrench (sniped even.!)..couldnt budge em. Put the pin back in as best as I could with the hex and will see about getting me the proper torx head to remove the rears properly...may need new pads..maybe new calipers too. We shall see.

Gotta hang on till some "extra" cash comes me way.

rgds,

stk

·
'Ol Builder guy
7,051 Posts
I think we can conclude it's not GM that's the problem, it's the excessive use of road salt/corrosives that's your problem.

Might wat to powerwash under/around the axle ends and let dry every so often in the cold months.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well to tell ya the truth, I have only wintered here in 08..prior to that was in Alberta for 2 winters. No salt used there. I did however buy this rig as a lease back at 35,000 miles..and it had been on some rough roads for sure.

No question road salt is nasty stuff to deal with. Just going to have to keep a much closer eye on things.

stk

·
Pardue the Traveler
4,023 Posts
My dad's 2000 gmc 1500 which he got in 2002 has had some brake issues, he's replaced the rear rotors 3 times now. He cracked the rotors, but he is very hard on his truck. He does things with his truck that no 1500 should do, he pulls swathers, a self-propelled sprayer and various other ag implements over very rough gavel roads.

·
Toyaholic
250 Posts
I have 172k. 2 sets pads on front, and 1 set and rotor replacemnt on rear (only because a slide hung up). A repair is only as good as the person performing it.

·
2,126 Posts
Rinsing out your undercarriage is very important in winter conditions whether there is salt being put down or not.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts