The Diesel Garage banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
when i went to pick out a new truck i bought a gmc because i had a connection that got me a great deal,also i liked the fact that the gmc was assembled in flint,mich, and that gmc only makes trucks and suv"s,and i only own gm rigs.i had been eyeing the new chevy"s down at the local dealer but hadnt had a chance to see the new gmc since we dont have a local dealer,so when the day came to go pick up the new truck and i waltzed in i was shocked to see the different body than what i was so use to seeing at the chevy dealership.i was expecting to see a different front end and had already seen some litterature showing the new rig but i had failed to notice the difference between the two trucks as far as body lines.to this day i am still trying to figure out why they whent whith two different body"s.just dont make sense to me,dont get me wrong i love,no i mean LOVE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! my new dmax gmc, but i am thinking in the future this rig will only interchange gmc sheetmetal and some trim and interior,and that it must cost more to produce vehicles so closely related or similar yet different.i think back and remember robbing parts from a gmc to build many nice chevy"s and chevy"s to build gmc"s and firebirds for camaros.i have never really heard anyone speak of the differences and was just curious how everyone else felt.

Fish

·
'Ol Builder guy
7,051 Posts
WELCOME TO THE DIESEL GARAGE!

Yeah, they're different, but they roll off the same lines, so there's economy there. Also, now GM is down to 2 engines in the HD series, so that saves them money. I think it helps in sales, it diversifies the lines a little.

I reallt like 'em. GM really need help with their gas engine tow ratings. Ford has GM beat real bad. Diesel is much closer.

·
590 Posts
i grew up gm, with a few fords and a random dodge in the family. what i allways liked about them, they were easier to work on when needed, and more often parts were cheaper. i also liked the fact, that so many parts were interchangeable. even through the medium duty line. i drifted away from gm during the computer 6.5 diesel days, although i have three of those models. at the time i wasnt likeing there track record, and felt overall, ford had a better truck at the time. especially when the 7.3 engine was being used. i"am at least looking back in gm's direction now, but unless something tragic happens to one of my truck's, i doubt i will make a new purchase anytime soon. what i dont like about gm, is the options they have taken away. first off, i prefer a 4.10 rear in my trucks, second, a manual tranny. gm doesnt offer either. factor these items, and the fact there diesel has aluminum heads, [that just dont seem right on a diesel] it still makes their product line hard to appeal to.

·
164 Posts
Yep they cut alot of folks out by not offering a manual and solid axle, but oh well.

·
3,939 Posts
Not offering a manual and 4:10 option did discourage many people from GM. Some of GM's decisions leave me scratching my head asking, "Why?".

As for the "aluminum head" argument....thats a non-factor. Dmax's dont have issues with heads melting or warping. Only head issue was the 01 headgaskets, and that was fixed. You can rest easy on that.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts