The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all new to the site. Anyway I'm looking at this 1982 GMC 7000 with a 427 Gas engine mated to a 5+2 trans. The truck is a bare chassis as it was formally a Fire Pumper and has only 5802 original miles, very very nice condition, very clean. But the great thing is the guy selling only wants $1500 for it! :eek: :cool: :happydance :)

So I've been thinking of getting it, and converting it into a big pick up and making it my daily driver. And possibly putting it to work when/if I need. So I'd be able to get a really nice, big truck for wildly cheap.

But then I though, with it as my daily driver fuel consumption on that big 427 would about drive me broke! (no pun intended lol)

So I was thinking about swapping the motor for a Diesel.
But what Diesel would/could I swap it out for?

I was at this big truck junkyard a few weeks ago I saw this old '80s Kodiak (had the big fiberglass tilt hood) with a Detroit 8.2 Turbo "Fuel Pincher" in it. I've heard the Turboed 8.2s were pretty good motors, had good power and the mileage was ok. I'm not sure how many miles were on that truck, but the truck itself didn't look that great but I was thinking if I got that 7000 why not buy the motor out of that Kodiak and put it in the 7000.

What do you guy think would be the way to go?

·
1,224 Posts
Don't know anything about the 8.2.

I have a 79 7000 flatbed that has a DD 6V53 in it with a 6 speed ally and 2 speed rear axle, grossing 32,000. But for a daily driver the noise of the 6V53 will drive you crazy, its a loud s.o.b., but gives you an idea what can fit as far as physical size.

·
2,555 Posts
The 8.2 might work OK if it is cheap enough , but you would be far better in the long run with an IH DT466 mechanical engine , they are very proven technology good on fuel and cheap to rebuild.

·
237 Posts
Man thats low miles on the Jimmy,will make a nice truck,but I can't see you getting much more milage out of a diesel, and with gas cheaper than diesel and the low miles on the gas motor why would you want to put in a motor that's already in the junkyard? Just something to think about,good luck. Cowpuncher

·
590 Posts
i have had several of both trucks [427 and 8.2's]. the 427 is the way to go imho. cheaper and easier to work on, plus they are pretty solid, reliable performers. the 8.2 engines were fuel misers with decent power, but early models had a bad rep for reliability, and all were contrary to work on when needed. plus parts and replacement engines are getting hard to come by..

·
CRAZY CANUCK
4,320 Posts
i say DT466 :thumbsup

·
23 Posts
Hi all new to the site. Anyway I'm looking at this 1982 GMC 7000 with a 427 Gas engine mated to a 5+2 trans. The truck is a bare chassis as it was formally a Fire Pumper and has only 5802 original miles, very very nice condition, very clean. But the great thing is the guy selling only wants $1500 for it! :eek: :cool: :happydance :)

So I've been thinking of getting it, and converting it into a big pick up and making it my daily driver. And possibly putting it to work when/if I need. So I'd be able to get a really nice, big truck for wildly cheap.

But then I though, with it as my daily driver fuel consumption on that big 427 would about drive me broke! (no pun intended lol)

So I was thinking about swapping the motor for a Diesel.
But what Diesel would/could I swap it out for?

I was at this big truck junkyard a few weeks ago I saw this old '80s Kodiak (had the big fiberglass tilt hood) with a Detroit 8.2 Turbo "Fuel Pincher" in it. I've heard the Turboed 8.2s were pretty good motors, had good power and the mileage was ok. I'm not sure how many miles were on that truck, but the truck itself didn't look that great but I was thinking if I got that 7000 why not buy the motor out of that Kodiak and put it in the 7000.

What do you guy think would be the way to go?
Buy it! I'd rather have the 427 for a daily driver then any diesel. If you're not going to haul anything do a gearing swap or even a 400 turbo. There are a lot of people begging for 427 tall decks to build strokers out of. I did a couple mod's to a 366 and it's get decent mileage and a little more performance in a s/a dump.
If you don't want it let em know if it's still around and I'd like to check it out.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts