The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any thoughts on this truck, and motor? I'm looking to buy one, have choice between a 79 and a 83. 79 showed 500,000 miles while the 83 showed 100,000 miles.

·
2,710 Posts
Great truck, bad engine ! Lack's power ! Pisses threw oil ! ! Lives way too long ! ! !
so forget blowing it up or wearing it out. . .

It's like a cheaper version of the LOL 3208 Cat LOL Another engine i would try and avoid . . .

Mike

·
480 Posts
We used to have quite a few corrosion issues with our Brigadiers and Generals. Floors, cab mounts, back of cabs, etc. I would have a good look at it.
I'm not sure what is available for a 20 year old GM in the way of parts. Sure you can get engines, diffs, trans, etc. But A lot of the unique GM stuff could be discontinued.

I'd agree with the other comment about the oil leaks and the durability. Whether it has enough power depends on what you're going to do with it.

Any thoughts on this truck, and motor? I'm looking to buy one, have choice between a 79 and a 83. 79 showed 500,000 miles while the 83 showed 100,000 miles.

·
2,710 Posts
yes this is true The power issue was more of my doing then the engines fualt i always run well over what the trucks are designed for and the Detroits Seemed to mind that a bit more then the Cummins powered unit's.

Mike

·
2,710 Posts
Yup that is about all you gotta do . . . that and fill it up with oil and check the fuel . . .

Mike

1 - 6 of 6 Posts