The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was initially going to go with the SCT livewire but am not totally sold on it anymore (don't worry, I'm going SCT no matter what). My main concern is readability of the display in critical situations. An analog meter is easy... digital numbers on a screen can sometimes be a pain.

So, I'm looking for input. Do I:

1) Get the XCAL2 with a pyrometer, boost and maybe a fuel pressure gauge and gauge mount. This will add up to about $750 as far as I can tell.

2) Get the Livewire and the necessary thermalcouple for the pyrometer and sensor for fuel pressure. My understanding is boost is read through the access port (as well as other useful parameters). Cost is ?? (I'm guessing about the same or maybe a little more).

How many of you have fuel pressure gauges? I have read a few articles about the bad things that happen when fuel pressure drops. If I follow proper filter replacement intervals is this really needed? Are there any other gauges that are "must haves"?

I'm trying to stay under $1000. Are there any other things that would be worthwhile? I'm not looking for the fastest truck, just one that is faster than most :Thumbup: . I've seen intake elbows such as ID sells... are these worthwhile? What type of HP are they worth? I'm not ready for headstuds, Fluidamper, and probably not an exhaust. Likewise, I understand it's not worth messing with the stock intake too much.

I want to do it right out of the shoot, so please share your experience! Thanks for bearing with me and my long-winded post.:thanks:
Brad

·
Registered
119 Posts
here is my list of gauges i would do.. pyro/boost/fuel/water/tranny.

tranny temp and water temp on the stock gauge are "too late" gauges real ones actually show you variances

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
for guages i would do pyro boost and trans temp
i wouldn't worry about a fp guage until you change injectors/fuelsystem
i would do a exhaust when u do your other stuff
robert

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
alldiesels said:
for guages i would do pyro boost and trans temp
i wouldn't worry about a fp guage until you change injectors/fuelsystem
i would do a exhaust when u do your other stuff
robert

I agree with Robert. If you truck has a stock boost gauge, you could always skip the boost and go with a dual pod or a triple w/ the fuel. Depends on how far/fast you plan on taking the truck. :Thumbup:

·
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the responses!

Let's put it this way... the truck will never see a track. It's an Excursion, so there isn't a stock boost gauge and I checked everywhere... in the glove compartment, center console, under the front seats... :shrug:

So, get a trans temp gauge instead... ok :Thumbup: I didn't know the stock gauge was so inaccurate.

Anyone willing to touch the question about gauges vs the Livewire display? :poke: I've got a grab handle on the drivers side A-pillar, so I'm probably looking at an under dash gauge pod.

:popcorn:

Cheers!
Brad

·
Registered
199 Posts
The only thing I have to say is that there has been studies conducted on the human eye, and it has been proven that the eye can follow a sweeping needle better than a digital readout.

·
Diesel Pro
2,652 Posts
SCT Xcal 2, Gauges, and Aluminized Silverline Exhaust, i saw where you can pick one up for 299$ with a tip, so 750+300=1050, there ya go!

·
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Guys -

So, I was looking more at mounts for the gauges. The Isspro kits from diesel manor look intruiging. I was leaning toward the under-dash mount kit, but after pretending I had gauges there, it seemed like they would be hard to read. I hate to admit it, but it appears the A-pillar is the best spot.

Unfortunately, I don't want to loose the grab handle either. So, how much more work is it to put in the above-the-mirror mount? I assume the wires run under the ceiling piece? How much extra work is it to install above the mirror? This seems like it would allow easy readability.

Finally, I'm debating between LED gauges and classic bulbs. Anyone know what the T-5 and T-10 bulbs are rated at for hours? I'd hate to have to replace them alot.

Thanks.
Brad

·
Registered
175 Posts
i'm with ya man...just haven't pulled the trigger...

I'm still kicking around the idea of the Livewire but that is a big unit ((6 3/4" x 3 3/4' x 1') and not sure where I would mount it...as for the Xcal2 and gauges - not sure where I want them mounted.

·
2,821 Posts
I have the Isspro's from Diesel Manor in the Overhead Pod and love them. I will be upgrading to LED's soon though. Check my signature for pictures. Chris

·
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Nice truck. It's a heck of a lot smaller than my Excursion... I bet that thing can really go!

So, was it terribly difficult to route the wires up there? How much extra time do you think it took to mount them there?

Thanks.
Brad

·
Registered
175 Posts
nice mounting location....

I think that would be where I would choose to mount mine but I just dont know if I could with the moon roof controls up there too - Has anyone mounted their gauges up there that has a moon roof? If so - I'd love to see the pictures.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Here is a picture...

I dont think I could do the over head mount....

Attachments

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
tdmr1195 said:
I think that would be where I would choose to mount mine but I just dont know if I could with the moon roof controls up there too - Has anyone mounted their gauges up there that has a moon roof? If so - I'd love to see the pictures.
You could get an above mirror pod but...their junk. I have one and it constantly fell down, when i finally got it secured tight it started to rattle, its driving me nucking futz.

·
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
StrokerAce -

Thanks for the comment. The idea of "tape" holding it in place doesn't thrill me. I may just be stuck with an under-dash unit... oh well, I guess I'd get used to it.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
I'm surprised Joe (CSIPSD) hasn't chimed in here. He uses an overhead pod and has had good luck with it. The model ISSPRO carries uses a sticky tape on the windshield.

As far as the life of the bulbs, the standard #194 (T10) bulbs are rated for 2500 hours. I wouldn't be worried about their overall durability, as they seem to last much longer than that (I was involved in some bulb testing in a prior job). They biggest reason to swap to LEDs is the increased light output. I like my gauges to be bright!

Regards,
Michael

·
Registered
1,587 Posts

·
6,337 Posts
StrokerAce said:
You could get an above mirror pod but...their junk. I have one and it constantly fell down, when i finally got it secured tight it started to rattle, its driving me nucking futz.
1. You can run the overhead pod with the above console. No issues.

2. Its is no problem to run the wires, they just tuck up above the headliner.

3. As far as the pod coming loose... Here is the trick and this works if you do it RIGHT... Clean the windshield with alcohol, let it dry. Mark where the VELCRO (key word VELCRO!!!) will attach to the windshield and the pod. Stick it to the windshield and leave it for at least a day. Same thing on the pod. Install the gauges and I will bet $100 that that pod WILL NOT COME LOOSE.

Michael, look at your pods again. I bet they have Velcro not sticky tape.

4. If you go with Isspro gauges, get the extension cables for them. Makes install a breeze.

5. LED's! The light is crisp, clean and bright.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
CSIPSD said:
Michael, look at your pods again. I bet they have Velcro not sticky tape.
Yup, I was reading the directions and they mentioned tape, but it is really 3M Dual Lock™, which appears to be Velcro on steroids.

Thanks!
Michael

1 - 20 of 30 Posts