The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
TDG Mafia Member #24
1,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What a good inexpensive chip with good returns in MPG for the 7.3?

Thanks,

AUG

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
Aug,

If you are only wanting 1 program you can get a 1 position chip. That will be the least expensive, IMHO. Pm coming your way.

·
Slow 6.0
1,554 Posts
variable ICP resistor mod. gained 3mpg on my 99. i usually average 14-15 now, high way is 18-19.

·
Registered
388 Posts
im runnin a ts perf.6 pos. chip. im averaging 17-20 mpg on hwy. ive got 2002 7.3...

·
Registered
2,838 Posts
Power Stroke said:
variable ICP resistor mod. gained 3mpg on my 99. i usually average 14-15 now, high way is 18-19.
that works i got it done to mine only thing though when you got it on the highest power setting your idle will get a little wierd

·
Registered
325 Posts
AUGSX said:
What a good inexpensive chip with good returns in MPG for the 7.3?

Thanks,

AUG
a wooden one

put it under the gas pedal

i get pretty good fuel milleage with my evolution on the 80 hp setting... but still slowing down is the best way to increase fuel economy

·
TDG Mafia Member #24
1,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Power Stroke said:

Were do I get one?

·
Slow 6.0
1,554 Posts
AUGSX said:
Were do I get one?
well if u want to buy one EDGE sells a 300 dollar glorified resistor box, but its a direct plug in.

if u are crafty with electric stuff u can go to radio shack and get everything u need for under 20 bucks and have a nice little setup.

the ICP mod taps into 2 of the wires going to the injector control pressure sensor, a resistor is soldered to each wire, what this does is fools the computer into thinking that the oil pressure going to the injectors is low, there for it uses the IPR (injector pressure regulator) to increase the oil pressure until the computer gets the desired amount. in the end you end up having a few hundred psi more oil pressure going to the injectors which i believe forces the fuel out of the injector harder making it atomize better and i believe it may lengthen the pulse width as well. i know on mine if i go down to 3.3k resistance i get a little dusting of black smoke on hard acceleration.

most people use a 10k ohm 1/2 or 1/4 watt resistor, someone dynoed 30rwhp and 100ft lbs on their own truck with just a 10k. other people like me have installed a potentiometer in the dash that allows us to adjust the resistance on the fly. for instance in my truck around town i run it at 8.9k, the idle is a little higher then stock but it is smooth and there is a big power gain over stock. on the highway i turn the knob all the way over to the left which is 3.3k, the torque on this setting is unbelievable however the idle sucks that is why i only use it on the highway or when i race someone.

if your looking for increased mileage this is cheapest way to get it, like i said under 20 bucks and u get 2-3mpg more in my senario maybe even more if u go easier then i do and a big gain in performance.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Power Stroke said:
well if u want to buy one EDGE sells a 300 dollar glorified resistor box, but its a direct plug in.

if u are crafty with electric stuff u can go to radio shack and get everything u need for under 20 bucks and have a nice little setup.

the ICP mod taps into 2 of the wires going to the injector control pressure sensor, a resistor is soldered to each wire, what this does is fools the computer into thinking that the oil pressure going to the injectors is low, there for it uses the IPR (injector pressure regulator) to increase the oil pressure until the computer gets the desired amount. in the end you end up having a few hundred psi more oil pressure going to the injectors which i believe forces the fuel out of the injector harder making it atomize better and i believe it may lengthen the pulse width as well. i know on mine if i go down to 3.3k resistance i get a little dusting of black smoke on hard acceleration.

most people use a 10k ohm 1/2 or 1/4 watt resistor, someone dynoed 30rwhp and 100ft lbs on their own truck with just a 10k. other people like me have installed a potentiometer in the dash that allows us to adjust the resistance on the fly. for instance in my truck around town i run it at 8.9k, the idle is a little higher then stock but it is smooth and there is a big power gain over stock. on the highway i turn the knob all the way over to the left which is 3.3k, the torque on this setting is unbelievable however the idle sucks that is why i only use it on the highway or when i race someone.

if your looking for increased mileage this is cheapest way to get it, like i said under 20 bucks and u get 2-3mpg more in my senario maybe even more if u go easier then i do and a big gain in performance.
you got a digr.of that ...i might try it out on my'00...

·
Registered
229 Posts
I used* to have one on my truck, but got told by several folks that iwas gonna Grenade my motor because it advances the timing.

I've not noticed any sort of talk over HERE (lol)

Does it advance the timing? If it does, is it totally safe, on a truck without any other mods, no gauges?

WHen i had it in, i did notice the exhaust smelt cleaner/different at idle.

Te idle kind of reminds me of a big block gasser with a cam, smooth, but yet not smooth, with the sound of an intermittent "miss"

If it is deemed i can run a variable one without much fanfare (gauges) and that it really wont kill my motor over the long term i'll spend the time and make a real one:)

I know i need exhaust, gauges, and AIS....

1 - 12 of 12 Posts