The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
beware the dark side
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i am looking for a good chip or programmer, not really happy with the bully dog six position chip that i have and dont know what my options are. I am looking to upgrade my truck over the next 6-8 months(turbo, injectors, new fuel) and want something that will still be good after i do that. any help appriciated. thanks

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
If you want to stay with a siX position option you can do a TS-performance chip. Another option is the SCT programmer, and we can do custom programms based on the changes you make.

·
TDG Mafia Member # 70
426 Posts
what about the banks 6 gun?

·
0 Posts
First off...lets determine what you want to have. A chip requires a bit more effort to install, but allows you to have custom burnt programs, and allows you to switch programs on the fly. A tuner is the easiest to install, since its done through the data port...but requires you to stop and have about 10 minutes of downtime while you swap out programs. A tuner though will usually read and clear codes.

Personally...I prefer a chip over a tuner, just so that I can get programs designed for my truck, and my mods, burnt to it. A tuner has generic tunes, unless its an SCT. You can have custom tunes on an SCT, but then again you have the unload/load problem.

Then, lets figure out what you intend the truck to do. Do you tow, play, race, pull, all the above? What about mileage...do you want an econo tune...or if you live somewhere where it gets cold...how about an high idle option.

Then ask around, or look around at peoples signatures, and see what they are running. Ask questions. And don't be afraid to speak to the vendors and get their opinion. A great chip will bring a smile to your face everytime...but a rotten or mis-burnt chip will create a lot of problems...and may do more harm than good for the truck.

You can't go wrong with any of the supporting vendors on our forum. They are all top notch.

·
beware the dark side
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i do have a 7.3 liter. i am mostly into pulling and just sporting around. no drag racing, although i do tow on a fairly regular basis. I am hoping to find a chip that can be set up so that i can still tow equipment and my travel trailer around but have some extra pull for when i go to the truck pulls. I plan on upgrading other things on my truck to suppliment the chip as i can but have to take my time and save up the money. I just dont want to make a mistake and buy something that i am just going to have to change out in the future because it doesn't work with future upgrades. thanks for all the help everyone

·
0 Posts
Then it sounds like you are after a multi-position chip. Something that you can shift on the fly. On mine...I have a 40hp tow, 80hp econo, 120hp fun, and high idle for those cold mornings.

And depending upon how big of upgrades you have planned in the future, you will need the chip reburnt anyway to take full advantage of the upgrades.

Again...we have some excellant programmers that help to support the site. Give them a call, and find somebody you are comfortable with. If they are a supporting vendor, I can almost guarentee that they will make it right for you.

Dave

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
Another option for you since you tow most of the time is our 18K power module. It adjusts on the fly, and much cheaper than a chip or programmer.

LINK

·
beware the dark side
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
the 18k power module, is that something that i will be able to add to the bully dog chip that i already have or not. also will it work with other types of chips or is it a stand alone unit.

·
Registered
461 Posts
If you decide you want a six-position chip, we can set you up. the nice feature of the chip is when you change the turbo we can tweak the programs, when you change the trans, we can tweak them again. If you put larger tires, etc. When you put larger injectors, we can change the files. I have done many custom files for trucks with larger injectors and tuners. The nice thing is that it is updateable at any time based on your modifications. Give us a call and we can talk more. All of my custom tunes have been cylinder pressure tested to help ensure as much power as possible while keeping safety in mind.

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
vader's fury said:
the 18k power module, is that something that i will be able to add to the bully dog chip that i already have or not. also will it work with other types of chips or is it a stand alone unit.

The 18K+ is an ICP module and just like many can be stacked with almost any multi-position chip or programmer. Results will vary! It is adjustable on the fly so you can tune it to your needs.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts