The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First the Good News: After several months of searching for the appropriate tow vehicle to match my wife's plan to move from our travel trailer to a 5th wheel, I purchased a 2010 Ford F-350, 6.4L PSD, CC, Dually from a dealer about 75 miles from home. Brought 'er home late yesterday afternoon, and took the wife out for dinner and a ride.

Now the BAD News: Got up this morning and decided to fire up the truck and go out to our local diner for breakfast....and NO start! Tried several times (and allowed the Glow Plug indicator to extinguish)...but not even a click from the starter. So...I checked the batteries and found them to be at 12.4 V. But since it was rather cold, I decided to hook up my battery charger. After about an hour, I tried to do a start....and Nothing! on the first two trys. On the third, she fired off...so fast, in fact, I didn't hear the starter crank at all.

Oh, there's even WORSE News: After about 20 min. of running, I noticed that the transmission temp gauge was mid-range, but the engine temp was still quite low. So...I decided to take 'er for a run to see if she'd warm up properly. After a couple of miles at 30 MPH, I got to a highway and took her up to 55. I only got about 2 miles down the road when I found the need to drift over and try to figure out why the engine had quit. She'd crank...but wouldn't fire. But after about 5 min. of sitting, I tried again and she fired right up. But that wasn't the end of the problem...long story short: The darn thing quit on me three more times as I struggled to get back home, only 5 miles away. Each time she'd quit, same story: crank but no fire, then sit a while and she'd run. I should add: This truck has only 12K miles on it..so it's barely broken in!

Here are my questions:
1) Does anyone agree that my current problem is fuel related: maybe a bad (intermittent) fuel pump? Or maybe an injector problem?

2) Is it normal for this model truck to have the tranny warm up before the engine?

3) I noticed that when I tried to start the truck, as I was limping home, the starter would crank even though the key wasn't being held in the forward/start position. Is this normal? (Yep, I only let 'er crank for 10 seconds or less).

And, finally, 4) the dealer claimed to have the oil changed while we were doing paperwork...but the current oil is not the honey color I see from new oil after a change in my gas engines. So...if I'm having fuel problems, could that be contaminating my oil? The thought did cross my mind that the oil may not actually have been changed!

Thanks in advance, folks, for any advice or answers you can provide.....

·
606 Posts
This could be any number of things, a sensor going bad, happen on mine, bad fuel etc.

try draining some fuel from the fuel/water separator see if it is clean. Personally I would get it to the dealer and let them worry about it. It should still be under warranty. While you are there try to get an oasis report on it.

Reactions: Voortrekker

·
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Mystery solved....

OK...I took the truck to the selling dealer today, and they determined that the fuel filters had clogged due to fuel gelling...because of the cold weather. Fuel filters replaced...and anti-gelling fluid added to fuel. All seems good now!

As for the other items: According to the Service Guy...the truck wouldn't turn over initially because the ECM saw a low fuel pressure indication. Also, I was told that the truck has a "one touch starting" feature....move the key into the start position and it will crank for a predetermined time...or start, which ever occurs first. The Tranny temp is likely to come up first because it has a smaller cooler than the engine. At least that's what they said. All other things checked out fine...the only "code" was for low fuel pressure. Whew!

·
80 Posts
when i 1st got my truck new 5 years ago i embarassed myself with the "black" oil. after an oil cng. this was my 1st diesel. u prob know now its normal.

·
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Black oil?

when i 1st got my truck new 5 years ago i embarassed myself with the "black" oil. after an oil cng. this was my 1st diesel. u prob know now its normal.
Humm... Can anyone explain why the oil wouldn't appear clean after a change?

·
606 Posts
Diesel engine will produce black oil in the crankcase faster than a gasser. The oil turns black because the detergents in the oil are carrying the carbon etc to the filter. If it was not doing this your engine would gum up inside.

·
ADMIN/MAFIA
4,834 Posts
In 3 words. Exhaust Gas Recirculation or EGR... Diesel oil will always look more dirty but with an EGR equipped diesel it goes from clean/brand new to filthy in about 100 miles.

·
TDG Mafia Member #25
1,447 Posts
As for the other items: According to the Service Guy...the truck wouldn't turn over initially because the ECM saw a low fuel pressure indication. Also, I was told that the truck has a "one touch starting" feature....move the key into the start position and it will crank for a predetermined time...or start, which ever occurs first. The Tranny temp is likely to come up first because it has a smaller cooler than the engine. At least that's what they said. All other things checked out fine...the only "code" was for low fuel pressure. Whew!
Can't tell you about the trans, as I have a stick, but I've never noticed a "one touch start" feature.

Adrianspeeder

·
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Can't tell you about the trans, as I have a stick, but I've never noticed a "one touch start" feature.

Adrianspeeder
Thanks for the reply. I have a 2010 F-350 XLT. You don't have to hold the key in start position....just move it there, release the key, and it will either start or stop cranking after 10 seconds. Give it a try....you either have it or you don't. I don't know what yr it was introduced.

·
68 Posts
With only 12k miles on a 2010 it wasn't driven much. The truck probably had summer blend fuel left in it. The summer blend will gell without and additive in real cold weather. Everything you described is normal. Temps and such. Use up that old fuel and put fresh diesel in it. Try to buy diesel at a truckstop or where they sell a lot of fuel. Drain water separator once a month. Get a empty dry pop bottle and let just a few onces of fuel out and make sure there is little to no water in there. If there is more than a teaspoon of water drain until pure fuel comes out. Maybe 1/2 a bottle. You'll see a little trash and such not a problem. Don't reuse the fuel.
Change fuel filters (there are two) every 10k miles.
Change oil and filter every 5k miles.
Use Motorcraft filters only!
Ford also reccomends an anti gelling additive for the winter months. Motorcraft PM-23-A anti gelling additive and PM-22-A for the rest of the year. These improve performance and help lubricate the fuel system I buy the filters and additives here:

http://dieselfiltersonline.com/Diesel-Truck-Fuel-Additives.aspx

Diesel require more maintenance than gassers but you have a nice truck. Read the owners manual! It'll any fifth wheel out there!

·
147 Posts
In 3 words. Exhaust Gas Recirculation or EGR... Diesel oil will always look more dirty but with an EGR equipped diesel it goes from clean/brand new to filthy in about 100 miles.
It's not just the EGR, it's just the nature of a diesel. My non-EGR Kubota turns the oil black as coal within 30 minutes after an oil change.

·
TDG Mafia Member #25
1,447 Posts
Thanks for the reply. I have a 2010 F-350 XLT. You don't have to hold the key in start position....just move it there, release the key, and it will either start or stop cranking after 10 seconds. Give it a try....you either have it or you don't. I don't know what yr it was introduced.
Rememberd to try it yesterday on mine, just bumpin' the key it springs back and stops cranking.

Adrianspeeder

·
176 Posts
Congrats on the new truck and you'll love it.

I believe Ford added the "one touch start" in '08 and like he said just turn the key and it will start or stop on it's own (it's a cool feature).

The tranny should heat up faster for the reason he said so that's normal.

As for the oil, like others have said diesels aren't like gas engines and the oil won't stay nice and golden very long. I've changed mine in the past and after a short trip down the street it's black and nasty again.

Good luck with the truck and enjoy it and once you get comfortable with it think about tuning it as they run so much better when tuned.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts