The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
& amp; amp; amp; amp;
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will never buy these tires again, they are junk. I have had 4 trailers with these tires and only had good luck with one of them. I am on my second set of these tires for my current trailer with very little use, the new set is less than 1 year old with 5,000 miles and are already cracking. I am getting ready to purchase a 2006 trailer that came with these tires with very little use and the tires are falling off of the rims, in huge sectons.

I have used them in 225/75/15 and 235/85/16 with the same results.

I think I will be switching to a light truck tire in the future.

·
2,710 Posts
I have had good luck using Firestone truck tires on trailer's. also make sure you have the right load range for your usage.

Not all 225/75R15 or 235/85R16 are rated for the same amount of pay load.

Mike

·
Gear jammin fool
869 Posts
I've been lucky? I'm only on my second set of GY tires since 1997 on my triaxle Haulmark. The first 6-8 years it's been all over the east coast. Last few years pretty much only in Ohio. The first set all came apart in just over a week, 3 one weekend, 2 the next. Load range D.

Though my '89 F150 I just bought has GY tires on it and the sidewalls are cracked on them. Not sure if was just cause it was a southern truck or what? Likely replace them with BFG's this summer.

·
Gear jammin fool
869 Posts
Just had a call over the weekend from a racing buddy. Seems the Carlisle trailer tires he bought just over a year ago are looking like they are coming apart already. He is going to call the dealer and see if they will do anything(I told him likely not). Worth a shot. I told him I had no issues with my GY's(just lucky I guess).

·
2,710 Posts
BFG's ? Hopfully not AT's . . .

LOL They'd make fine trailer tires lousy truck tires at best LOL

Mike

·
Gear jammin fool
869 Posts
Naw, the truck would get Radial T/A's like my other vehicles have. Nice tire, wear well, good winter traction.

Truck has GY Wranglers on it......and they ride like solid rubber tires! :wtf

·
TDG Official Poo Flinger
5,268 Posts

·
Gear jammin fool
869 Posts
"Three to five years is the projected life of a normal trailer tire"

Guess since I'm on my SEVENTH year I need to look at replacing mine?
There goes $600 down the crapper....:gaah

·
TDG Official Poo Flinger
5,268 Posts
Better safe than sorry...

·
236 Posts
I run Titan 225/75/15 Load range E tires on one of my trailers. Been on it several years now. Still look new. They have 3 or 4,000 miles on them. Spend most of the time setting in the southern sun. Seems like they are rated for 2800 lbs. Most cases they have that much load on them too. They are actual trailer tires, not truck tires. Hard as a rock, roll easy.

·
Gear jammin fool
869 Posts
Mine still look brand new, but the last set did too when they all came apart within a week.

Waiting on my tire connection to get me prices. Retail is about $100 ea, I'll get them at cost, plus lunch :wiggle

·
172 Posts
Suggested life is more of a 4-5 year span based off the DOT date stamp, not when you bought them.

For those that feel like complaining about tire life and choose to go over the speed rating of a trailer tire, do us all a favor and get LT tires. That way they will handle the 65-75 mph speeds you feel like you need to tow at.

·
In the passing lane
1,453 Posts
1 - 16 of 16 Posts