Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 3 42.9%
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
& amp; amp; amp; amp;
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just purchased a used 25' toy hauler and will be putting on some new meats for my summer trip with it. What brand should I buy? I need load D as I am expecting the trailer to weigh 7-9k loaded up?

I have had many types of trailer tires and not been 100% happy with any of them.

My old trailer has Goodyear Marathons 225/75/15 load D 2540lbs ea (made in China) that are less than two years old and developing cracks, the good news is that Discount had offered to pro-rate them and send them back to Goodyear and offered me a credit of $71 per tire. That says something about Goodyear and Discount both, however at the same time they told me that the Greenball Transmasters are a better tire and are also a little cheaper, and stronger as they are load E rated gor 2900lbs ea.

What brands is everyone using and what are the pros and cons?

Are all of them made in China now?

Base prices for my area are below with mounting and balancing extra.
Goodyear Marathon $115 each
Greenball Trailmaster $85 each

·
8,265 Posts
The XPS's are probably the best there are out there.

That said...I put Marathons on my fiver last year...and they are holding up very well. I had some off-brand import tires that came with the camper...and after 2 years had cord showing through, weather cracked and in tough shape.

·
& amp; amp; amp; amp;
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I called my local Discount and it does not look like the Michilin's come in my size 225/75/15, is there a problem with using a light truck tire or will they not handle the turning issues with multi axles?

·
ADMIN/MAFIA
4,834 Posts
I have heard very good things about Michelin trailer tires but they come in limited sizes i hear..We have had good luck with the goodyears on our past travel trailers..

·
1,709 Posts
Goodyear.

·
SLAPS President
3,027 Posts
Goodyear has brought the Marathon back to the US... They said it was because of demand but I suspect it was the bad rep Chinese tires have.

·
1,418 Posts
Cooper Discoverer H/T : LT235/85R16E Is what I use on my 38' flatbed with a 60,000 mile warranty It's got 8 of em.

·
Ol Dirt Contractor
2,803 Posts
We have an old 93 28' Savanna Terry slide out with Goodyear Marathon tires on it and still holding up. Not too many cracks yet but I keep them out of the sunlight. It gets towed up to camp every year in the CA Sierra's about 75 miles each way.

I ventilated 3 out of 4 Chinese tires on the enclosed snowmobile trailer in the first 2 years.:haha Poll is closed???

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
My open car trailer has 14" Goodyear Marathons on it. I bought them used 10 years ago (actually 10 years ago this week!). They have been cross country twice, and to lots of local races too. So far no cracks, only hassle is a chunk of rubber torn out of the sidewall when I loaned the trailer out (still wondering what he hit with it). I used to have a 5th one for a spare, but it fell halfway off the trailer tongue while towing, and was completely destroyed.

Regards,
Michael Pliska

·
1,567 Posts
Goodyear Marathon :thumbsup
bang for the buck i think they
are the best

·
121 Posts
I bought marathons again, havent had issues with them before.

I do always get the next higher load rating than what came on the trailer
from factory.

·
& amp; amp; amp; amp;
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I bought the made in USA Marathons from my local Discount Tire and started our vacation, at about 1,700 of 4,100 miles one went flat, not sure why, but sidewall was chewed up by the time we got pulled over? Threw on the spare and had to drive 40 miles to the closest Goodyear dealer and had it replaced the new one is made in China??? I purchased the road hazzard warranty and Discount should refund my replacement tire cost but now I have a Chinese tire again...

·
7.3 addict
644 Posts
I think the biggest issue is the date of manufacture how long have they been sitting on the shelf that's the question I always ask.

·
48 Posts
I have LT235/75/15 on my trailer, and I think I have been overloaded for 5 years. I blew a 5 year old tire last week and the tire stayed together and never hurt the trailer, compared to before with 225/75/15 ST by GoodYear you take every liner in its path. I got tired of blowing tires at every trip, so I went 5 years with the Lt's. without a blowout or a flat. And this one was the rear tire and it happened on a road construction site. I am replacing the present tires due to Year of use rather then wear. I feel safe driving with 5 year old and under tires on my trailer, but more then that I feel I am asking for trouble. I felt that Marathon tires haad no threads to protect the tire against road debris.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts