The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well my trailer is now five years old and in need of a good reflooring. I was wondering what kind of weight savings I could have from doing it in aluminum versus the treated 2X8's

I'm also planning on using apitong boards over the axle where I put most of the small yet heavy freight. I think they are stronger and would make me feel more comfortable when hauling vertical motors, totes of corrosives, etc, when there is that much weight in a small amount of space.

So i guess the question is are the aluminum/apitong flooring going to save me enough weight (1000+ pounds) for it to be worth the extra cost. The added strength over the axles would be, but I'm trying to justify doing the whole trailer.

Thanks
Shay

·
54 Posts
Not sure on the type of trailer you have...what is your primary use for the trailer?

On our lowbeds we sometimes deck customers trailers with alum truck frame with 2 x 2 x 1/4wall tubing under to suport the alum. Normaly just the 2 ouside boards are replaced with alum then the next boards next to the alum would be apitong then the remaining would be doug fir. With the price of alum nowadays I dont know if I could justify doing it to our own trailers. The wrecking yards around here are wanting around $25 and up per foot and getting harder and harder to find since alum framed trucks are no longer built. If it was me I would just stick to apitong on the 2 outside then doug fir in the center and roll with that..maybe throw a coat of wood sealer on and good to go.

I10HaulR said:
Well my trailer is now five years old and in need of a good reflooring. I was wondering what kind of weight savings I could have from doing it in aluminum versus the treated 2X8's

I'm also planning on using apitong boards over the axle where I put most of the small yet heavy freight. I think they are stronger and would make me feel more comfortable when hauling vertical motors, totes of corrosives, etc, when there is that much weight in a small amount of space.

So i guess the question is are the aluminum/apitong flooring going to save me enough weight (1000+ pounds) for it to be worth the extra cost. The added strength over the axles would be, but I'm trying to justify doing the whole trailer.

Thanks
Shay

1 - 2 of 2 Posts