The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey fellas....got a question. I have the Reese rail system in the bed of the Dodge.....with the gooseneck plate that pins into it. How much weight/force can this ball take? I got an idea for moving round bales around and I need to know if the ball would support a 1200 pound round bale of hay basically hanging off of it..........

kevin

·
TDG Mafia #76
2,542 Posts
Only one way to find out, Kev...

Seriously though, make sure there's nothing breakable below or around it, and go for it...

B

·
0 Posts
If that ball/mount will not hold a 1200lb roll of hay, then you have other problems to worry about Kev.

·
3,754 Posts
I sure would think it would

·
Premium Member
5,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
allright guys....I figured it would, BUT always good to double check ya know?!?

Now I can start on my game plan................

kevin

·
1,836 Posts
How are you going to get the bale to hang under the ball?

The rails have a horizontal rating of over 16k pounds, what kind of leverage can you use that will exceed that with a 1200 # bale? Transport chain has a working load of 5400# if I remember correctly, so part of the question is will the rest of the invention stand the strain.

keydl

·
4,827 Posts
If all you're gonna do is drag it, hook it to your drawbar/receiver hitch. Don't want to dent the bed or screw up a tailgate with a chain hanging off the edge. My neighbor looped a cable over his hitch ball like that all the time to drag bales. Works good. I've pulled an empty Kinze 840 grain cart with my Ram. Has a tongue weight of over 3k and it weighs ~13k. The factory hitches take more than they're rated for.

I've pulled empty 18 wheelers with my 14' 5/16" transport chain. 32-40k pounds. Haven't broken it or even stretched a link. Just always make sure to never jerk on it.

·
Premium Member
5,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I came up with a good way for get hay and store it at my house....instead of making the 40 mile round trip every 4-5 days for a round bale. Here's what I wanna do......

Take a bar for my Reese hitch, and weld an extension onto it so it sticks like 3 feet out behind the truck, then hook a 4 foot section with the bale spear and stabalizers onto it. Make this so it can be pinned in place AND pivot. On the end of the 5 foot bale spear, weld a big steel loop. What I wanna do is back the truck up into a round bale, hook a boat type hand winch to the gooseneck ball and hook the other end to the steel ring on the end of the bale spear. So when I crank the hand winch, it will raise the round bale off the ground. If I leave it hooked like that AND pin it where it pivots, it will remain secure. No need to mess around trying to get it all the way in the bed of the trucl. Not going that far with the bale.

I ran my idea by the police chief...who is a firend of mine...and the owner of my field, and he thought it was a good idea. Local cops, and county cops both will not give me a second look driving down the road with a bale hanging off the back of the truck IF I can show them when its done that the bale is secure and my setup is secure......

Sooooo, there ya have it. My latest invention on how to move a round bale with no tractor. It sucks having to drive a 40 mile round trip for hay every 4-5 days because I cant store them here. I have the room, just no way to get them from the ground into the truck.Well, NOW I WILL have a way pretty soon.

I'll keep ya'll posted with updates and pics when I get this started........

kevin

·
4,827 Posts
IIRC, my one uncle has done something like that. And I think you buy a setup like that too, and it uses a 1500# rated 4 wheeler electric winch. Basically a poor man DewEze bed. ;) :D

·
Premium Member
5,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
yeah....I searched for it online, and found one that uses an electric winch, but it was a BIG plate deal that bolts to the bed floor and the gooseneck ball.......and it was $$$......................the other kind I seen was a hydraulic unit, for even more $$$.

I figure this one will cost very little cash to make, and if I make it in a couple pieces, one person can '''install''' and '''un-install''' it pretty easy.

Yes, I'm cheap............

kevin

·
130 Posts
I rigged a pretty similar one a couple years ago, when I was in college. It worked GREAT! one thing to consider - I made mine so it laid flat on the bed, but built it so that it also went down to the bumper reciever hitch, to take some of the force off the box floor.

I saw a guy a year or so ago that built one that would lift straight up vertically, with a pulley/winch system. He had it on an electric winch. It went up about 4'. I thought to myself "dang, looks complicated to just move a bale." Then I watched him load a gooseneck with it, fold it down, hook onto the trailer and drive away......... SLICK......

·
1,836 Posts
I think that a couple 'receivers' on the end of your current hitch with bars that mount to hold the bail, and a couple ramps to skid from the ground to the 2 in HW square tube that the bale sets on. Use any type winch to pull it up the ramp on to the tubes and tie it to the tubes.

Unload with a baler jack and a 2x4 to push it off.

Don't forget the flag or light - it is more than 4 feet behind the taillights.

keydl

·
4,827 Posts
bigdraft said:
yeah....I searched for it online, and found one that uses an electric winch, but it was a BIG plate deal that bolts to the bed floor and the gooseneck ball.......and it was $$$......................the other kind I seen was a hydraulic unit, for even more $$$.

I figure this one will cost very little cash to make, and if I make it in a couple pieces, one person can '''install''' and '''un-install''' it pretty easy.

Yes, I'm cheap............

kevin
Uncle made it himself. He has a cheap fold over g/n hitch and the bale spear is made so he just pulls a few pins and it is off. Can do it by himself.

·
Haulin' Hay
565 Posts
Sounds like a good idea. I'd check at Tractor Supply Co. as well, because they have a small trailer that's pretty cheap that's made just for hauling bales of hay.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts