The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone. I have been reading for the last couple months and only have posted in the introductions. looks like a great bunch of people here.

I just got a '95 PSD F250 auto. First could you guys explain some of the 7.3 specific details, (common problems, good, bad, things I should know, ect). I have worked on many vehicals and diesels before just not the 7.3's.

OK, I bought this primarily for hauling and towing my Jeep. So I want it to stay petty reliable. It also has 311,000 on it. But I would like to give it a little peformance boost.
I plan on starting with guages and exhaust (cat delete and probably 4"). from there I want to keep the mods on a tight budget.

What is the best bang for the buck with out having to worry about much else. I really want to keep it simple for now. I have been reading alot about DP and would like to know more about them. Is a new down pipe recomended?

Is it even smart to be adding power with 311,000 mi? can the engine handle it? Would it be better to leave it stock?

Sorry for all the questions and thanks to everyone.

·
6,337 Posts
There is a lot of good things you can do to these things cheap and relatively cheap...

1. Tymar intake- about $50 for the parts and filter... Its a piece of 4" exhaust tube, and a BIG filter ( I don't know the part # but some one will). It flows almost as good as a $400 filter set up.

2. Got to do a down pipe on the OBS trucks (old body style). 3" is all you will fit without doing alot of fire wall work, its really all you need with just a chip type set up.

3. Gauges- add at least a pyro and tranny temp, but a boost gauge is a good tool as well. Keep the Pro under 1250-1300 for anything more then a few seconds (10-15), tranny temp under 220, boost on a stock OBS is right about 15-17# but chipped you will see about 25#+-

4. do some reading about the CCV mod, exhaust mods

5. Chip- Jody is great, but as far as the OBS trucks I think Tony Wildman has there votes about 99% of the time! When your reading about chips, keep in mind you will not see more then about 70-80hp boost with a OBS, there injectors are much smaller then the SD's

With 300,000 its still got lots of life so long as the last owner took good care of it! Change the oil every 3-5000 miles and fuel filters every 8-10,000 miles. Some will say carry a spare CPS (cam position sensor) but I think that is over blown... Never had one leave me in over 750,000 miles in PSD's...

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thats some great info. The truck seems to run well. but I just got it so only time will tell for sure. The guy claims its the original tranny and he said he's never done anything major. The tranny also seems to shift pretty good still. But the fluid is pretty burnt, what do you guys recomend? I have heard alot about fords and not to flush it when they get old, is there any truth to this?

I will start with guages and probably full exhuast first. I also want more info on the intake (where to buy? is it a kit or separate parts?)

Would like more info on Tony Wildman. what can he do? prices? Chip or programer? 70-80 HP is all I am really looking for right now. what about torque? 150 ftlb ???

And then oil. I was planning on running Rotella 5w40, but it seems that quite a few people run regular 15w40. Is synthetic needed or just over kill? Can I run more then 5000mi on synthetic?

·
6,337 Posts
no need for syn, but its your choise... The Tymar intake can be bought at SP Diesel or put together yourself.

Tony is twildman here, send him a PM

not sure on the tranny, never heard that about them, might PM racerx, seems to be a bit of a e4do expert

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
"Got a 95 F250, Now what?"

Let the good times roll :Thumbup:.

Gauges, cooling as needed, Intake, Exhaust, budget check. Power up to 40 hp and all the support needed after that. A Good Transmission will need upgrades beyond 40.

·
1,726 Posts
CSIPSD said:
There is a lot of good things you can do to these things cheap and relatively cheap...

1. Tymar intake- about $50 for the parts and filter... Its a piece of 4" exhaust tube, and a BIG filter ( I don't know the part # but some one will). It flows almost as good as a $400 filter set up.
The p/n for the filter is a 6637 NAPA. I cant remember the Wix #. I know it's the same with like a 5 or something added to the front. The cheapest place I have found to buy one is fleetfilter.com I don't know if the price with shipping would be all that much better if just ordering a single filter but you may want to stock up on some oil and fuel filters as well.

The only thing you need to hook it to the stock intake hose is a 4" long piece of 4" dia. exhaust tubing and a constant torque clamp for like a 4" intercooler hose. You can put a 45 deg. bend exhaust pipe instead of the straight to let the filter set in there a little straighter, but it's not necessary.

I would suggest to wait until you have your exhaust on to add the filter - money savings reasons. NAPA charged me like 12 bucks for a 4" piece of tubing, but I had to have it right that minute - or so I thought. You will have some extra tubing from the exhaust install and wouldn't have to buy anything that way.

Oh, by the way you better like to hear some turbo whistle because with the filter, exhaust, and my weak Superchips Tuner my radio can hardly over power the turbo/engine noise when towing. But for me thats all the more reason for doing it :Thumbup:

I am in the process of installing Stage 1 injectors and a twildman chip. I will let you know what I think of the chip when it's finished.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
racehauler- Thanks, thats what I was looking for on the air filter. I think I can handle making my own. Does the filter clamp on the pipe? one kit looks like it just slips on with no flange to clamp. I was wondering how they keep it together. they must have some type of stop on the end of the filter. then what do you do for mounting the fitler? just make some posts to hold up the pipe?

·
6,337 Posts
It just hangs there or rests on the fender well. You will remove all of the factory air box. There is a clamp spot for the filter, clamp it to the intake and clamp the tube to the filter.

·
The Big Meanie
5,220 Posts

·
1,726 Posts
Yeah :whs

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks guys for all the help and that link. I think I am going to get the exhaust, intake and guages done as money permits. And let this truck prove itself before I chip it. I might even wait till the tranny goes out as I want to make it last as long as possible.

What are my options for shift kits? It seems to shift really soft and I would like to firm them up.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
I like transgo for shift kits. Transo is a complete kit that installs in the valve body and pump. The valve body part can be installed with transmission in the truck, the pump parts can't. You can also go with a completed valve body setup for firmer shifting.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts