The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought an 88 7.3L a few months ago with low miles and all around good. This morning on the way to work, engine dies at a stopsign. Never happened before, so I shift to N and start her up...no prob. Get to the next stoplight, same thing...all the way to the bus station! Only thing I can see is wierd is that with lights on at a stop at idle, dash lights pulse a bit. No missing in engine, and with a touch of the gas she runs like a scalded rabbit, but coming down from 2000+ rpm to coast to a stop, engine dies. Always starts on the first crank. Stopped at parts store and they checked batteries (got 2) alternator and starter, all checked out just fine on their hand held.

Any one got an idea on what else I need to consider?

·
Super Moderator
4,247 Posts
The fuel solenoid would be my first and best guess. This is a common failure mode for them, they are good cold/cool but cause stalling when hot.

It can be a DYI repair, but involves extreme cleanliness and comfort with small intricate parts inside an IP to do yourself. I have done one, it took two hours because I had to install the cover three times before I got it right.... and I took the diesel fuel course in trade school :(

·
81 Posts
Try adjusting the idle speed up about 50 rpm and try it.There is an idle speed adjustment screw on the passengers side of the pump.Its been a long time since I work on an IDI,but I believe there is a low rpm governor adjustment screw on the back side of the pump covered with a tamper resistant cover.If adjusting the idle speed works-great,if not you may find an injection pump shop that may offer advice for adjusting this screw.Hope this helps.

bronco1

1 - 3 of 3 Posts