The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well title explains it all lol today for my 1994.5 psd i bought the edge ez and the instructions weren't very clear and i dont want to go prodding around under my hood and break something so if any one can help i would appreciate it

·
862 Posts
Pack it back in the box and send it back for a refund.

If you actually bought the Edge EZ and didn't get it for free, you just wasted money. It's nothing more than an ICP fooler. For less than $3 at Radio Shack, you can do the exact same thing yourself, and it's just as easy as installing the Edge EZ.

The EZ is just a resistor mod that tricks the PCM into thinking the pressure at the oil rails is too low. As a result, the PCM commands higher oil pressure from the HPOP to compensate. A simple resistor inline to the ICP sensor does the exact same thing. In fact, the EZ plugs into the ICP sensor too. This is why I say send it back for a refund. Edge charges way to much money for this simple mod.

·
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
mk so if i send it back how do i fool the icp ? because that sounds like a good idea.

·
862 Posts
Actually it's not really that good of an idea. It only gives you very minor power gains, and does not address fueling, timing, transmission adjustments, etc. A chip is a better way to go, since it can control all of those parameters, giving you much more power, while still keeping the truck very well mannered on the street.

I tried an ICP fooler back years ago on my truck. It was fun for about a day, and that was it. Wasn't really even worth my time compared to what I gained by putting a chip in.

There are instructions for an ICP fooler floating around here somewhere. Do a search for "10K mod".

·
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
so should i keep the edge ez or try the fooler and order the edge programmer or something of that sort.

·
862 Posts
so should i keep the edge ez or try the fooler and order the edge programmer or something of that sort.
Return the Edge for a refund and forget the fooler. Get a chip instead. In your other thread someone suggested DP-Tuner. That's one really good option (I also run DP-Tuner in my truck). Another popular choice here is Total Diesel Performance.

·
Mod Friendly Title
2,695 Posts
Hate to burst your bubble, but your Powerstroke isn't going to smoke like a Cummins will (even when its tuned)... Unless you have a really, really, really dirty air filter.

·
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
why is that ? im just curious.

·
TDG Rocks!
393 Posts
fuel injector system. The powerstroke uses the HUEI weheras thee common rail use high fuel pressure to run the injectors. The Injectors are smaller compared to cummins, duramax's. IIRC like 90cc but it smokes with Jody's tunes but F the Edge ANYTHING!!!!

·
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
mk i didnt really wanna spend that much on a tuner but what if i get the bigger injectors will it blow smoke .because blowing smoke isn't important enough for me to buy a cummins and definitely not a duraslack

·
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
srry i meant higher horse power injectors i was lookin at 40 hrsp

·
862 Posts
If you get bigger injectors, you will NEED a chip. You're also going to need gauges, intake, and exhaust if you haven't done that yet. Then there's the transmission to consider as it's gotta be capable of handling extra power.

You don't want to spend the money, yet for what you want to do with your truck you'll have to fork over some cash. Powerstrokes are much more expensive to mod than a Cummins or Dmax.

If you want decent power gains, get a chip that people have been recommending in this and your other threads. If you want more, get ready to open up your wallet, because it's going to get real expensive in a hurry. That's all there is to it really.

·
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
mmk im gettin a 4in dual exhaust turbo back straight pipe i was lookin at dp140 horse power injectors or so it says and i was lookin at the wildman chip i have a 5 spd manual transmission what kinda of mods does it need? and what are the gauges for ? i have one for the turbo and egts is that all i need

·
TDG Rocks!
393 Posts
with a man. yea those two will work. Im not sure if anybody even makes a dual exhaust for the OBS. I got a MBRP 4' turbo back for 300. And do the Tymar or DIY intake too. If you do injectors you need to consider upgrading the HPOP.(high pressure oil pump) It drives the Injectors.

·
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
diamond eye makes a dual exhaust ok ill look into that thanks everybody

1 - 15 of 15 Posts