The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off, let me say that Marty at Truck Toyz, Dave and OUO, and Jess at High Angle Driveline are the best at supporting their customers! I can't thank them enough for their time and support.

I have a ICON 4.5 lift with OUO 5.5" 5* tapered blocks installed on a 2008 F-250 with stock 20's & stock tires. After the install, I had take-off vibrations around 10 to 15 MPH. If I took it easy on the throttle, I couldn't detect any vibration. At highway speed, hitting the gas to pass, it would vibrate. I tried every combination of shims offered in the ICON carrier bearing drop kit, from 3/16" up to 1 3/4" in 1/6" increments and could not get it to stop vibrating. I measured the angles, over and over, and what seemed correct, wasn't. Using my GoPro little camera shows the pinion is tilting upwards or downwards when I hold the brake and apply a little throttle, but at speed I could not tell if it tilted or not, but it vibrated nonetheless.

Dave at OUO felt I needed traction bars and Jess felt a CV driveline would help. There are pros and cons to both, but I had experience with Jess's drivelines on my lifted 2004 SD that was smooth and silk, so ordered a driveline again.

I installed the CV driveline and knowing it needs a 1-2* down angle on the pinion, mine was almost 2* down angle, just right. The 10 to 15 MPH vibration was gone, but on the highway, pressing the gas to pass, reared a vibration. Saddened and getting more frustrated, I thought maybe the pinion needed more down angle, I ordered 2* shims to experiment with. Dave at OUO said he would build me a custom tapered block if needed.

I got busy and the shims sat on the bench. I was getting use to the vibration and thought heck maybe the rest of the lifted truck world dealt with some vibration and I needed to get past it. Tired of looking at the stock 20's, I added fuel to the fire and installed what are probably the last set of BMF 20x10 SOTA wheels in the U.S.A. (Marty pulled a rabbit out of his hat!) with Toyo MT 35/12.5/20. With the new tires, now I have a vibration right as soon as I pull away from stop, a very fast vibration, then goes away and comes back during normal acceleration around 40 to 45 MPH. The wheel diameter is greater now so I can only think the pinion has more leverage now on the leaf springs.

I'm not a huge fan of traction bars (sorry Dave), but if that's the ticket to a vibration free truck, then I will. On the flip side, if I need to switch to rear leaf springs (Deaver / ICON / etc) and proper shimming for the CV driveline, I'll do that. I just want it to stop! I’m about to take the lift off!

Come’on, this isn’t a 10 or 16” lift, my rear block isn’t that much taller than a stock F350 block!

What did you other lifted truck owners do to solve your vibration issues?
What should I do?
Traction bars or leaf springs?
Stock or CV driveline?
What’s the perfect combination to a vibration free truck?
Other thoughts?

TIA

·
773 Posts
These new superduties have longer leaf springs so it's easier to get Axel wrap, I even got it dead stock. I solved mine with trac bars.

Reactions: TexasTruck

·
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I choose lift blocks over full leafs to keep the carrying capacity, ride and comfort. Do the traction bars do anything to your ride, suspension travel, binding, extra noise, etc?

Thanks.

·
194 Posts
Just a thought but is your exaust hanging by chance? If your running it just strait back from the downpipe with the dpf/doc delete on and letting it just hang there (some do it) then it could be that its bumping up against your cross member cause that vibration feeling. Just a thought.<It happend to me.

·
773 Posts
I choose lift blocks over full leafs to keep the carrying capacity, ride and comfort. Do the traction bars do anything to your ride, suspension travel, binding, extra noise, etc?

Thanks.
Mine don't make any noise have only made positive changes in the way the truck rides. You can go on ouo's site to see how much suspension travel is affected.

·
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you, I've looked at OUO's website and spoken with them about their track blocks and I see your point. I've since found other articles that indicate ladder vs single bar systems, when properly engineered, don't offer enough of a difference to matter it seems.

·
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I wish it was that simple, but last night I checked the exhaust anyway. From the factory downpipe to the tip I didn't see anything rubbing or having the potential of rubbing anything. I'm using the factory hangers where I can.

·
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
How sensitive are the u-joint angles in terms of operating angles? I imagine 1* difference is a lot, but is 0.25* or 0.5* enough to make a difference? Currently, my pinion and shaft up to the CV joint at the carrier has an operating angle of 1.87.

·
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Let me ask this another way.... how much shimming did you guys use to correct your driveline vibrations after lifting your truck?

Thanks.

·
773 Posts
I put a 5" 5* block in with my traction bars and have no vibration, and my shifts feel soooooooo much better. Also I didn't shim at all, but I have a f-350 so I never lifted the rear much.

·
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Maybe my story is a bit complex...

Icon 4.5 with OUO 5.5" 5* blocks in the rear. My drive line angles are:

1* Transfer case
2* Shaft from TC to carrier bearing
6* Shaft from carrier bearing to pinion
5* Rear pinion

I was thinking a CV from the carrier bearing to pinion was the answer since my pinion angle is 1* down. It fixed the vibration from from 0 - 20 MPH, but not the vibration at 40+ MPH. Maybe the carrier bearing is wobbling or can't support the heavy CV joint? Any other thoughts? What did you do to resolve vibrations? Is my setup out of wack, maybe the 5* blocks should be 3* so I can use the factory shaft? Anybody?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts