The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
2,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thinkin I read somewhere that the 7.3 IDI made peak HP at 3000 RPM, I see that redline is a little north of that. However, my truck does not really ever rev over 3000, once in a while 3100. Is there possibly in issue with my pump? Weak governor spring (does it use a spring for that)? Maybe that peak HP thing is false info?

Another weird quirk, seems like I have perty decent power to 2200, then it levels off till about 2800 then starts to kick hard again till 3000 and just hangs out there.

Do I need to have my pump and sticks freshened up? About how much $$ does that run to have done? I don't really want to dump a bunch of money in this motor right now as I plan on a 12V swap around the end of summer or fall.

·
Old Fart
889 Posts
The IDI is a low speed motor. I almost never wound mine up to 3000 rpm. All it did was just make noise. Shifting sooner will get you there quicker.

Dave

·
2,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The IDI is a low speed motor. I almost never wound mine up to 3000 rpm. All it did was just make noise. Shifting sooner will get you there quicker.

Dave
thanks for answering none of my questions

i do not run mine out to 3k regularly, only a time or two.

·
567 Posts
mine pulls to 3200 ish then just drops off. this is a old dyno sheet before intercooler, different turbo, and timing

1 - 4 of 4 Posts