The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay just bought my dream truck 2004 GMC 4X4 crewcab, Full Load and yes stock LB7 and allison 5 speed auto. Got 17.5 MPG Old way distance travelled, miles div by gallons used, running empty I pull 30 travel trailer aprox 6000Lbs
Hear a lot about 20 to 22 MPG. Dont want to be fine tuning or under the hood other than checking fluids.
What does the more experienced people suggest. Was thinking just a mild edge product under 100 hp increase. So on a pension and not wanting to damage anything, so please lets hear suggestions. Thanks for your help

·
TDG Mafia # 81
1,903 Posts
A decent Edge or Bully Dog should treat you fine for what you are wnating to do, but remember. Once you start adding power to these trucks it becomes an addiction!

Replacement of the exhaust with a 4in from one of the vendors will help to make the 20MPG more of a reality, but with the poor quality of fuel in the US, thats hard to achieve. I have a tonneau cover on my truck and I get 20 on the highway if I keep out of the go fast pedal.

Tony

·
Registered
223 Posts
If you can find a local bullydog dealer, I think they have a program that is for test purposes and will go to stock after a set time. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.....As far as mileage, i have an edge ez and on level 3, I get the same as stock, but much more responsive and no smoke unless i really stand on it.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Grandpa says thanks, Local dealer says banks

Thanks Guys,
Up here in BC Canada we have aircare so we have to have trucks checked every couple of years so Cat better be there. emmission tests are bad so have to stay away from oversize exhausts { I think} We arent really into many high performance diesel shops and a local one suggested a banks setup, 2800.00..... ouch too high for my pension. Cant I get away with just one item to boost my mileage/ HP, I am not heavy footed. I just like the extra ponies for hill climbing with the trailer without overheating anything. Not into smoking up the neighborhood ha ha. So new to diesels thought the smoke was a bad engine, ya been a gas guy too long.

·
TDG Mafia # 81
1,903 Posts
You can get a 4in cat back exhaust that will help the engine breathe better, then do a airbox mod on Kennedy Diesel's site under the tech tips button.

As for a programmer, like stated earlier, Edge, Bully Dog and even Superchips have a decent programmer. However, stay away from Banks.

Reason being, 1) All products made by Banks is atleast 40% marked up and costs way too much. 2) Gale Banks is a pompus @$$ that thinks he is the lords gift to the diesel community, and he is way wrong! 3) You can find comparable items from some of the vendors on this site that are of the same or better quality, and cost less!

The cat back exhaust wont hurt your emissions test as the muffler is just a sound reducer, so you will free up some air flow and make the truck sound a bit more aggresive. When you take it in for a smog test just turn the programmer/tuner to stock or remove the program. One warning, if you install a programmer/tuner, I would install guages so you can watch your engine. Any tune has the potential to over boost or take the EGT's too high, these guages will help save the life of the engine. Just something to think about.

You should beable to get everything you need for your truck for under $1500 from Vendors on this site. Finding someone to install and the shipping are another matter. But I am sure there are some members in your area that would help out if you asked and maybe bought them a case of beer.

Good luck with your new toy,
Tony

·
Registered
223 Posts
keep your eyes open here as some people are buying new trucks and might be selling some stuff for less than new.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thats for the advice, I dont know enough about buying used as no idea whats really good and whats really bad. If anyone is in the Vancouver BC area who has a GMC or Chev LB7 I would sure like to talk to them. Nothing beats the voice of experience. I maybe can read more and contact other LB7 guys on this site that have milder set ups,, not so radical as some of you young guys ha ha.

·
1,705 Posts
I had a Van Aaken but it was the big one. They also made a 0/70/110 box and it would work good. For simplicity a lot of guys run Edge. I'm running custom tuning but it sure isn't for everyone,maybe not even me :shrug: ,but it's fun.

·
GOT BEER?
164 Posts
I got real good mileage with my MBRP 4" exhaust and predator programmer on my old '04. The only thing was, was the MBRP 4" was a little loud for my taste.

·
TDG Mafia # 81
1,903 Posts
Is there really such a thing as too loud with a diesel? LOL Kidding, I agree that it is loud on the outside, but its not bad with the windows up, as a matter of fact. My son who wakes up with a pin drop, sleeps through the tone of the exhaust even if I get on it, but he does perk up if I roll them down.

Tony

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Grandpa says thanks,

I live in a very quiet neghborhood, only wanting to increase power and milage for pulling my 30' travel trailer. Sorry youngins, you have fun waking the neighbors, melting off those tires, smoking up the skys. Been there done that now just older and wiser.{ they say wiser, I did'nt}
I just want POWER , no extra wear on the motor, Going for 350,000 miles or better. My last truck unless she breaks bad or gets hit. Grandpa

·
Registered
32 Posts
I think the pedator would suit you good for what you want to do with it. Like said before I think you should get some guages too.

·
3,939 Posts
Diablosport Predator has a good economy program. Merchant sells a lot of these.

Quadzilla also has a good mileage programmer. Bullydog could also be a decent low-cost choice.
I'd stay away from Edge, as for the past two years they have been having issues with the quality of their electronics. If you could find a used, older version (v4.61 or earlier) Edge box, thats the way I'd go with their product.

Silverline makes a very good 4-inch exhaust that wont break your budget if you decide to go that route. You'd be very surprised to find on these Dmax's that even the trucks that are straight-piped (theres another option....cut out the muffler and replace with pipe) are still rather quiet, until you mash the go-pedal.

Since you'll be towing a big trailer, adding a boost and EGT gauge is a good idea, esp if you add a small programmer. Its not that they're required, but they give you better insight into whats happening with the engine.

Make sure you change the fuel filter roughly every 10K miles (carry a spare and a wrench), change the Allison spin-on at every oil change.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for the replies

Going to take stock truck and trailer and try some big hills. A friend told me the truck will do just fine stock. Way better than my old Ford with the 460 gas. Pulling 8000 Lb trailer and he said the diesel was over kill for a trailer at that weight. I dont know but am going to find out. Ya probably get passed on the big hills by someone who has done up their truck, and then I will probably join the power hungry group I am always reading about.
Definitely not looking 450 HP but maybe the 350 would be a nice range. Heard stock at rear wheels is around 260 to 270 HP. So 350 would be a happy medium for me. Want quiet, non smoking, non damaging changes.
Just like my house now all the kids are grown and gone :-} Told ya all I was old ha ha.

·
TDG Mafia # 81
1,903 Posts
PPE-DieselRob said:
this many posts, and no ppe... tisk..tisk.. we have economy tuners as well if your just looking for a little bit of safe power and economy... affordable too :Thumbup:
I am sorry for not mentioning your product, thought I had:damnit . Now that I have gone back and read my post I regret not listing PPE.

Tony

1 - 16 of 16 Posts