The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got my first diesel in a trade, it is a 7.3 1993 IDI vin Code M
It has a very prominent gray smoke when started cold and the engine idle rough until it comes up to temp about 5- 10 min drive. Also when you goose the engine a thick gray/white smoke pours out even at temp.

The smoke smells of diesel , it is not sweet like antifreeze and I can't smell the oil smell you get with a gasser and bad valves/rings.

Prev owner claims:
rebuilt engine by ford house less than 100k
he said the fuel is turned up??? ( no idea what that means)
I asked about the sca additive he stated he just uses peak50/50

Observation:
clean engine cant see an oil leak anywhere, no drips or anything even sitting for a week.
oil is mid range on dipstick indicator( going to go get a quart after work)
WTS stays on for 20-30 sec even in 100deg texas heat
A series of clicks come from the relay after the WTS cycle has finished?

Any idea's to try to limit the smoke at start/idle, we are not talking a puff of smoke. I can fill the neighborhood with smoke at start up.

Thanks for any advise

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
might add , it runs smooth at temp. the sluggishness goes away however it still has grey smoke not enough to choke anyone but evident non the less.

·
Old Fart
889 Posts
Too much fuel as noted by your comment that "the fuel is turned up". They over did it. You will need to find a shop that knows IDI diesels and they can help you. It has been too long for me to remember how that pump works.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Tested glow plugs , found one bad replaced and smoke is reduced but still very noticeable. I am looking for a diesel mech to turn the fuel back a bit. I hear having the fuel too high will destroy the engine, what kind of damage should be looked for ?

·
Old Fart
889 Posts
Too much fuel will make your engine run HOT! Back the fuel down until the smoke stops. Smoke upon starting is normal, but not after it warms up. You can burn pistons with your current setup.

·
2 Posts
Hello, I have a 94, XLT, 7.3 T, 5 speed stick, 4X4, long bed, with 215K miles on it (Bought it in 97 with 47,400 miles on the odo.)and I have recently been blowing smoke similar to what you describe, and it was hard to restart when warm. My truck had as far as I know the original IP and Injectors. I just had the Injection pump rebuilt and installed NEW injectors as well. No more smoke and sounds and runs like a new truck. Well only smoke I see now is black when I get on it.
Good luck with yours.
rwelli1001

1 - 6 of 6 Posts