The Diesel Garage banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I dont want to beat a dead horse but it seems eveywhere I go(not just on the internet) people are still bashing the 6.0's. My truck has 110k HARD miles on it, tows DAILY,gets raced at the track(8.60's-1/8 mile) regularly and I DRIVE it! I am anal about my maintenance so it gets taken care of. Am I just living on borrowed time or just lucky? I have owned 7.3's a couple of Cummins24v's(all modded) and quite honestly they just didnt compare to my 6.0. I know I'm gonna some disagreement on this but the fact is I have had WAY less problems with my my 6.0 than any previous diesel truck. My Dodges seemed to EAT Injector pumps and lift pumps(an a couple of trannies) and my 7.3 just didnt compare in the power department. Not taking anything away from the other trucks but my 6.0 just seems like alot more truck. I recently drove a '08 6.4 PSD and although it was NICE, I still prefer my 6.0(call me crazy!)I know a fair share of 6.0's had problems ,thats no big secret,but for everyone that has problems there has to be a couple like mine...maybe???
On a side note,I've had to "rescue" my father in laws Dmax on more than one occasion!LOL! hes DIEHARD GM and hates to call me when he needs a "tow"!
Thanks for letting me vent!

·
2,951 Posts
I love the hell out of my 6.0 but I only have 20k miles on her now!!!!!!!!! Dont drive her every day but when I do I beat the hell out of herLOL . And yes it has alot more nuts than my 7.3 ever had.

Lonnie

·
Registered
83 Posts
I drive mine to work everyday, race it, tow with it, and sled pull as much as I can. Never a problem yet, but I am also very anal when it comes to maintenance.

Kyle

·
511 Posts
the only problems ive had with my 6.0 are problems ive brought upon it... but hell i love it as soon as i first got to drive one i knew its what i wanted

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
6.0superduty said:
I drive mine to work everyday, race it, tow with it, and sled pull as much as I can. Never a problem yet, but I am also very anal when it comes to maintenance.

Kyle
Amen brother! I think maintenance has a lot to do with it, I too am VERY anal about my maintenance.

·
Premium Member
5,567 Posts
I got nothing but positive things to say about mine...

·
Dually Club #3
2,674 Posts
I love the h3ll of both my 6.0's. I drive them both flogg them when possible and they have never let me down. The power that the 6.0 can put out is really apparant when I tow my trailer, I can climb any hill with all the grunt that I need. Don't get me wrong I love the 7.3l for it reliability and sounds and grunt but the 6.0l has just show much more power.

·
793 Posts
wouldn't trade the 6oh no for nothing I've had nothing but good luck with it, my problems were all brought on by me and I don't maintain mine as well as I should beat the heck out of it and it just keeps ticking:woot:

·
I Wanna Go Fast!
4,006 Posts
Have yet to have a problem with mine and got 68k on the ticker. My dad along with some buddies have 7.3's and there is no comparison. I would stand up for the 6.0 as much or more than the 7.3. Hail to FORD for the change. Some people hate it most people love it.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
brentos said:
Have yet to have a problem with mine and got 68k on the ticker. My dad along with some buddies have 7.3's and there is no comparison. I would stand up for the 6.0 as much or more than the 7.3. Hail to FORD for the change. Some people hate it most people love it.
:cheers

·
497 Posts
I love my 6.0! Never has had a bit of a problem I wouldn't trade it for anything. I have around 20,000 miles and I use it everyday!

·
what's egt mean ??
586 Posts
I dont want to beat a dead horse but it seems eveywhere I go(not just on the internet) people are still bashing the 6.0's. My truck has 110k HARD miles on it, tows DAILY,gets raced at the track(8.60's-1/8 mile) regularly and I DRIVE it! I am anal about my maintenance so it gets taken care of. Am I just living on borrowed time or just lucky? I have owned 7.3's a couple of Cummins24v's(all modded) and quite honestly they just didnt compare to my 6.0. I know I'm gonna some disagreement on this but the fact is I have had WAY less problems with my my 6.0 than any previous diesel truck. My Dodges seemed to EAT Injector pumps and lift pumps(an a couple of trannies) and my 7.3 just didnt compare in the power department. Not taking anything away from the other trucks but my 6.0 just seems like alot more truck. I recently drove a '08 6.4 PSD and although it was NICE, I still prefer my 6.0(call me crazy!)I know a fair share of 6.0's had problems ,thats no big secret,but for everyone that has problems there has to be a couple like mine...maybe???
On a side note,I've had to "rescue" my father in laws Dmax on more than one occasion!LOL! hes DIEHARD GM and hates to call me when he needs a "tow"!
Thanks for letting me vent!
i agree with you 100%.. my 04 has 70k miles and they are also HARD miles... people are amazed when they ride with me at how much i actually abuse my truck on a daily basis. it sees upward of 1500degree egt's DAILY, and aside from being on my 3rd tranny (2nd built one) it has NEVER given me issues.
even before i had the motor beefed up i ran it at over 400hp on stock head bolts for about 20k miles and never even had a single puke.. the ONLY time it ran less than perfect was when my EDGE took a dump and caused it to drive like doodoo.. and also that killed my first tranny (a poor flush job and failure to replace cooler is what i blame for 2nd tranny coming to a premature failure)
and i know what you mean about the dodge's, although they are the top dogs in the power game, it's only with a complete aftermarket makeover, no amount of programing will make a dodge impressive w/stock sticks/turbo.. a tuned 6oh will walk away from them and the 7.3's with similar mods all day long..

however, i must disagree about the DMAX, it's hard to find fault with that motor in stock trim. aside from the few quirks they had to deal w/like everyone else (some overheating issues etc, ) and the crappy allison tranny behind it, sadly a lift pump and an EFI live tune will turn them into 12 second beasts w/stock parts... i'm a 6oh guy thru and thru but i have to give credit where it's due and gm/isuzu knocked one out of the park.. my buddy's dmax has been a thorn in my side from day one, and i had to go w/heavy mods to beat him

but back on topic, i agree and i wouldn't trade my OLD 04 for the world.
oh yeah, and the 64 is fast truck w/right tuning and dpf delete i must admit !

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
I love mine. I have 67K on it and its been tuned by DJ for over 10,000 miles. Great trucks!

·
singles member #53
229 Posts
I love mine. no problems at all 42,000 mi on the odo.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
LvTitan said:
i agree with you 100%.. my 04 has 70k miles and they are also HARD miles... people are amazed when they ride with me at how much i actually abuse my truck on a daily basis. it sees upward of 1500degree egt's DAILY, and aside from being on my 3rd tranny (2nd built one) it has NEVER given me issues.
even before i had the motor beefed up i ran it at over 400hp on stock head bolts for about 20k miles and never even had a single puke.. the ONLY time it ran less than perfect was when my EDGE took a dump and caused it to drive like doodoo.. and also that killed my first tranny (a poor flush job and failure to replace cooler is what i blame for 2nd tranny coming to a premature failure)
and i know what you mean about the dodge's, although they are the top dogs in the power game, it's only with a complete aftermarket makeover, no amount of programing will make a dodge impressive w/stock sticks/turbo.. a tuned 6oh will walk away from them and the 7.3's with similar mods all day long..

however, i must disagree about the DMAX, it's hard to find fault with that motor in stock trim. aside from the few quirks they had to deal w/like everyone else (some overheating issues etc, ) and the crappy allison tranny behind it, sadly a lift pump and an EFI live tune will turn them into 12 second beasts w/stock parts... i'm a 6oh guy thru and thru but i have to give credit where it's due and gm/isuzu knocked one out of the park.. my buddy's dmax has been a thorn in my side from day one, and i had to go w/heavy mods to beat him

but back on topic, i agree and i wouldn't trade my OLD 04 for the world.
oh yeah, and the 64 is fast truck w/right tuning and dpf delete i must admit !
I wasnt clear on my father in laws Dmax, the truck runs GREAT,I had to go get him due to tranny failure. And your right they can be fast trucks easy although it seems they are somewhat limited by the independent front suspension on hard launching(just my experience).
I just installed a NX dry kit(.73 jet) to deal with the few fast ones around here!:squish ! I havent ran it at the track yet but hope it picks up enough to dip me in the 12's (I need about 8 tenths!):nitrous:

·
what's egt mean ??
586 Posts
I wasnt clear on my father in laws Dmax, the truck runs GREAT,I had to go get him due to tranny failure. And your right they can be fast trucks easy although it seems they are somewhat limited by the independent front suspension on hard launching(just my experience).
I just installed a NX dry kit(.73 jet) to deal with the few fast ones around here!:squish ! I havent ran it at the track yet but hope it picks up enough to dip me in the 12's (I need about 8 tenths!):nitrous:
nice, good luck w/that spray ! !
it's not so much the fact that it has indy suspension, but the way it's designed, it's the radius rods that bend when they are launched hard in 4wd.. yeah it's a bad design flaw, but i believe there are aftermarket companies making beefed up sleeves to strengthen them...

i'm definitely no fan of the allison i dont believe it's as good as they hype, but tell your old man about efi live it will really wake his truck up !! i've not had much experience w/the radius arms because my buddy's dmax is a 2wd which is why i always kill him out of the hole, and just recently was i able to actually hold him off the whole time !! (until my egt's went nuclear and i had to back out)

i've been considering putting the spray on mine too for dyno day next saturday.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
LvTitan said:
nice, good luck w/that spray ! !
it's not so much the fact that it has indy suspension, but the way it's designed, it's the radius rods that bend when they are launched hard in 4wd.. yeah it's a bad design flaw, but i believe there are aftermarket companies making beefed up sleeves to strengthen them...

i'm definitely no fan of the allison i dont believe it's as good as they hype, but tell your old man about efi live it will really wake his truck up !! i've not had much experience w/the radius arms because my buddy's dmax is a 2wd which is why i always kill him out of the hole, and just recently was i able to actually hold him off the whole time !! (until my egt's went nuclear and i had to back out)

i've been considering putting the spray on mine too for dyno day next saturday.
I will let him know about it for sure...maybe,dont want him to get too fast!!
I'll be dynoing next weekend with spray and will post the results ,I did notice a good drop in EGTs on the spray. I do know that it will blow all four Nittos off into second gear with a 15 PSI+N2O launch, although it leaves GREAT @ 10 PSI + N2O launch...we'll see how long the stock studs and tranny live!

1 - 20 of 55 Posts