The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just removed my grid heater, stock fuel filter, and second battery. Took some pics while I had it apart and thought I'd share. Most are of the crap that builds up from the EGR, one of the gid heater after it was removed. My truck has had the EGR blocked for about 50,000 miles, so everything in there is from 0-25,000 miles. Next time I'm bored and have time I plan to take it apart and clean the intake out.

I've noticed about a 2-3 psi drop in boost, this means to me I removed 2-3 psi of restriction from the grid heater. No change noticed in EGT's or spool up, but in my mind its going to help with an all out performance tune on a stock motor to get every last bit out of it.

Posted this on another forum and thought I would share it here as well.

Attachments

·
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
here is the rest of the pics.

Attachments

·
truckn'
1,720 Posts
are you using an airdog or something? ive been wanting to replace all the factory fuel lines to the CP3 with aeroquip fuel lines and an airdog2

·
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yes, I have an AD 150 with the filter and water seperator.

·
truckn'
1,720 Posts
sweet. I like how much cleaner the engine bay looks just by removing the filter...not to mention the AD has a better micron rating then the factory filter..:thumbsup:thumbsup

·
I now drive a Duramax...
318 Posts
What about the WIF sensor?

·
Gone Fishin...
3,099 Posts
Does removing the grid heater cause a check engine light? Also, wouldnt that negatively effect cold weather starts?

·
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What about the WIF sensor?
Unpluged it and tied it up, no codes from the WIF sensor.

Does removing the grid heater cause a check engine light? Also, wouldnt that negatively effect cold weather starts?
Yes, it causes a P0540. You can block the code from setting the CEL on with EFI live.

·
CRAZY CANUCK
4,320 Posts
it would sure be nice if there were something like a highflow grid heater... for us in the colder climates..... LOL Looks pretty cool Chris :thumbsup

·
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
it would sure be nice if there were something like a highflow grid heater... for us in the colder climates..... LOL Looks pretty cool Chris :thumbsup
Unhook the big red wire to it and try starting it up once. IMO it won't effect start up at all, the LLY's don't even have any type of intake heater. Mine has fired up great without it as low as 18*.

·
CRAZY CANUCK
4,320 Posts
well the temps get to below -30f even -40f here on occasion, i think i will leave the grid heater alone LOL

1 - 12 of 12 Posts