The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Senior Member
Joined
·
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know how much a grid heater is i think mine is getting weak!! it was 35* this morning and my truck had a hard time starting. I let it cycle twice to?
 
B

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Your truck should really have no problems starting even without the grid heater down to about 15*. I would take a look at your batteries or maybe have them load tested. The grid heater it's self very rarely goes bad, but the relay on the fender well can.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,189 Posts
Bouncer said:
Your truck should really have no problems starting even without the grid heater down to about 15*. I would take a look at your batteries or maybe have them load tested. The grid heater it's self very rarely goes bad, but the relay on the fender well can.
What he said^^^^, also a injection pump on it's way out can cause hard start problems. I haven't got a chance to test it out on my 2002, but my 98.5 will crank over in subzero temps and fire w/o the heater grid. (Not saying it wasn't running rough, but it would start w/o the heater grid getting a chance to get hot.)



As far as your batteries go....if they are AC Delcos or Everstarts (Wal-Mart), just plan on replacing them anyways.
 

·
Senior Member
Joined
·
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
it shouldnt be the injector pump i just put a new on my truck about 10 months ago and its had 14-17 psi fuel pressure its whole life. ill have the batteries tested tonight hopefully its just them
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
422 Posts
and sometimes they just don't start on the first bump
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,641 Posts
I agree...

There is several time where I wasn't thinking and just jumped in and cranked the engine over at 10-20*F and it does start but runs rough for the first few seconds...

You might check and see if the grid heaters are coming on. There is 2 relays on the fender well that controls the grid heaters.

Check you betteries and connections to verify they are good batteries and the cable are not corroded...
 

·
Formerly NATTYGASMECH
Joined
·
633 Posts
Disconnect the cables and clean the terminals and clamps. I thought my starter was getting weak then I had it shut down on me one day. Turned out to be a dark film on the inside of the clamps.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,189 Posts
Really for me when it seemed liked my red one cranked more than usual it was right about freezing. I'm usually in a hurry (it seems) and even sub zero temps it really never seemed to phase it. I was running Full Sythetic Amsoil every winter so far, probably helped. I was really nasty to my red truck looking back at the prevoius years 2005, 2006, 2007. If I sell it I'm not sure I'm gonna want a whole lot because I'm afraid someone will get it and the engine will blow up!

It runs fine now, but I'm thinking about putting it for sale for around 2-3g. It runs fine now, but that thing really saw all kinds of bad driving. I'm alot nicer to my 2002.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
422 Posts
if you didn't have to have insurance on it, it would be cool to keep it as a back up. Not tryin to put any bad luck on the 02, but sometimes i wish i had somthing else to drive when i have to work out of my truck.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,641 Posts
nattygasmech said:
Disconnect the cables and clean the terminals and clamps. I thought my starter was getting weak then I had it shut down on me one day. Turned out to be a dark film on the inside of the clamps.
Usually on the positive post no less... A simple trick to keeping your post looking good and clean all the time with out the mess of the red paint goop and the goopy felt washers...

Just wpie the terminals down with engine oil and reconnect them. About once a month I wipe the down again with engine oil... My terminals look factory fresh and never had to be cleaned yet... Thet are not even corroded yet!

Not to mention this is my 5th winter with the factory batteries yet... YES! I've got the stock batteries in the truck yet and still strong! :Thumbup:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,189 Posts
StrokeThisGoat said:
if you didn't have to have insurance on it, it would be cool to keep it as a back up. Not tryin to put any bad luck on the 02, but sometimes i wish i had somthing else to drive when i have to work out of my truck.
That'd be a great idea but I got to start looking a buying a house. But ya I thought about that espically considering my 02 has heated leather, etc. And my 98 has rubber floors, etc.

Mopar1973Man said:
Usually on the positive post no less... A simple trick to keeping your post looking good and clean all the time with out the mess of the red paint goop and the goopy felt washers...

Just wpie the terminals down with engine oil and reconnect them. About once a month I wipe the down again with engine oil... My terminals look factory fresh and never had to be cleaned yet... Thet are not even corroded yet!

Not to mention this is my 5th winter with the factory batteries yet... YES! I've got the stock batteries in the truck yet and still strong! :Thumbup:

Both of my trucks still have factory batteries. BOTH. It's a miracle on my 98. It's something you really have to watch, espically with the automatics. The TCC will do some goofy things with a bad battery ground.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
102 Posts
I was having starting problems with a '97 when it started getting cold out. I took it to the stealer and it ended up being the relay for the grid heater was bad. Got it replaced and never had a problem. It could be worth checking into.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,189 Posts
The 12 valves seem to start alot rougher though. Not saying the 12 valves have starting problems. But they don't seem to crank and fire in cold weather as haphazardly as the 24 valves do.
 
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Top