The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have a couple of trailers and evrytime I hook to them the brk box goes off and seems like I cant keep a good grd at the pin---do you have to be grn at the ball and in the plug ? havent mest with a lot of these things lol --didnt start haveing trouble till I switch to a new truck and ball----also haveing problems on a horse trail and one trucks a toy the others a dodge both haveing same problem differant balls and pig tails

·
ADMIN/MAFIA
4,834 Posts
Start with a multimeter at the truck plug and see what you have or don't have. Brakes turn signals lights etc.

Reactions: axlewv

·
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
trailer problem

Have all the lights at the plug and the grd wire But the hitge seems to not be grd cleaned it off and the only way to get it to grd is run a wire to the ball would this cause his brk box to go crazy ---he has one of those balls that move for dif trailers ---everything is good at the plug and for most of the time all his lights work but evry now and then this grd problem shows up even on the lights the only thing I can come up with is to put a grd strap on the ball and see if that curse the problem --Thank you for the come back

·
3,533 Posts
Using the multi meter is a good idea, check your ground, from the trailer frame to truck frame. If the ground wire is bad it will affect everything It could be at either the truck or the trailer. Check the ground pin on the trailer to the trailer frame. Same on the truck.
The simple wiring problems are always the hardest to find because you will not believe that could happen to you!
Been there done that.

·
ADMIN/MAFIA
4,834 Posts
I had to run a ground wire off my trailer harness to the trailer frame when I switched to LED lighting. Every bump you hit in the road way would cause the lights to flash. Once I put a wire from trailer plug, on the trailer side to the trailers frame all was right again.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts