The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Curmudgeon
Joined
·
472 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys.

For years I've participated in threads about our electrical system, and this site had one the best threads of all the forums a few years back. And for years I've usually done pictorials for improvements / repairs.

So this time I figured I'd try making some videos from the iPad my daughter got me. So first time video and YouTube! Unfortunately I've been dealing with a nasal issue and you'll have to suffer with the voice, not that its ever good.

Over the years there have been some people with issues of the passenger battery failing before the drivers side, and I believe this video shows the cause. It also establishes a good base for other improvements such as higher output alternators, and I'm finishing up some video work for those too. Well, unless this gets panned to much.

So here is the segment illustrating the 6.0 layout and I think based on the tests I've been doing the best bang for the buck improving the wiring. It's just not red and flashy. I'm going to post this on several of the forums I've been on over the last 15 years.

http://youtu.be/YZSX_X1vzf0
 

·
Junior Member
Joined
·
134 Posts
I like that
 

·
Senior Member
Joined
·
3,051 Posts
Jack, video is very professional and informative, great job!

And great end results too!

A+ video!

Harry
 

·
Curmudgeon
Joined
·
472 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys. First attempt at a video.

I think I have enough material for two more segments, one showing 140a and 230a alternator outputs and the other about determining the wire sizes you need, how our factory stock system surprisingly does and the one other mod that can be made for slightly better results.

You really don't need to go as far out as many of us have, of course unless you want to.

I'm almost at the three year point with new batteries and the addition of that ground wire and when the batteries are tested both at Advance and taking specific gravity readings they show excellent results, much better then what I got out of the Motorcraft during the same time period. And these are not special, just the Walmart Maxx that, like the Motorcraft, are made by Johnson Controls.
 

·
Member
Joined
·
444 Posts
Thank you for the video. I have a couple questions:

1) I can't tell in the video where you connected to the frame. Looks under the air intake, but the video cuts out before showing the connection.
2) You say in the video a 10 mm bolt w/ 1.5 mm thread. How long of bolt though?
3) Where exactly is it bolted to the block? Looks north of the harmonic damper. Was there already a tapped hole? Did you have to remove anything?

Thanks for your help!
 

·
Curmudgeon
Joined
·
472 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
There are a couple of threaded holes located at the head in this location, any can be used. My bolt was 20mm long.

The connection on the frame rail is directly under the intercooler tube. When I had done mine I pulled the air filter, battery, battery tray and cac tube. The battery negative cable is screwed down there and you need a 13mm socket/wrench for it. I pulled everything as I wanted to clean all the contact points with a dremmel. Some have reached the area from under the truck or leaving the cac tube in place, it just depends how comfortable you are with any of this.

Since that video I've done cold weather tests and the amp draw is even higher, getting to 300a per battery. Even at this level the test showed even draw from each battery.
 
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Top