The Diesel Garage banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was thinking about swapping the chevy 350 V8 with a 400 turbo hydamatic tranny in my 1976 Grumman Kurbmaster for some diesel engine. What would be the ideal swap for this package. I would after the swap want to have somewhere in the 300hp range nothing to radical. Something about as quiet in the interior as the current engine. I know modern diesels are a lot quieter then the older ones they put in the P30 chassis. The Kurbmaster only has 84,000 original miles on it and gets about 8mpg now and I generally cruise around 60- 65 mph. Top speed is about 75-80.

Questions are what would I expect in mpg increase on a Kurbmaster with the swap? What would be the ideal set up in engines, tranny, rearends etc? What engine would work at the current location of the motor mounts or would they always have repostioned?

Could I also get update the Kurbmaster with airconditioning with the swap. I have a roof mounted airconditioner now.

If the proper setup was done what would need to be replaced?

What would be a rough estimate of the cost of parts with a donor vehicle and what vehicle should I look to buy used?

I don't want to put a 4bt that was originally used in these Kurbmasters for I would rather have the 350 in it. I want something newer more modern in the engine compartment.

What I like about the 350 chevy v8 and 400 turbo hydramatic tranny is that is extremely reliable and parts are available everywhere and it is easy to fix if something goes wrong. I am looking forward doing this when this engine craps out and not looking to do it right now. Also does it make sense to even do a swap or would rebuilding the 350 be the better option?

I know this is a diesel forum and I have swapped a gas engine for a gas engine on another car. Is this something a mechanically inclined but not pro diesel mechanic could do?

The reason I want to keep my Kurbmaster is that it is tricked out inside and I have owned it for 32 years and still runs great. I have in a 22' package a full functional rv that is fully insulated that has a stand up shower, 4 burner stove with oven, microwave, 3 way fridge, double sink, aux heater, air conditioning, sleeps four, two on couch and two on queen size bed above the cab, full closet with plenty of storage throughout, full size motorcycle on the back bumper, and have carried dirt bike on fron bumper, and generator on back bumper enclosed.

Here are some picuters of my truck sorry they are so small

View attachment 16273

View attachment 16274

View attachment 16275

View attachment 16276

Attachments

·
1,836 Posts
The quiet diesels are electronic common rail.
The frame will work with any of them from the VW TDI to a 6.4 Int. It would probably hold a DT466 or 540.

The big problem with any electronic engine is the wiring.

A donor truck will probably bring $6-7k and $2-4k labor, depending on how well you can set up acess for a shop to get to the works. Planning the harness with the engine connectors just plugging in and adding the componets to the engine room before the engine goes in will make getting to the work much easier and cheaper.

Sound damping mat is the first thing and if you want a quiet truck it will need a muffler. I saw a new use for peal and stick roofing from GAF -about $80 per square (100 sq ft). It made a nice floor on a Paystar and helped the noise a lot.

keydl

·
590 Posts
your cheapest most cost effective route, will be a 6.2 or 6.5 gm diesel. only a few simple changes, and your in buisness. a 5.9 or 3.9[4bt] could be an option, but this will cost more in the long run, and be a bit more difficult to swap. also gearing could be an issue, with out the use of a od transmission. from a personal stand point, i would rebuild the gasser, due to the cost of diesel fuel.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts