The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
riding in the dirty dozen
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so i know theres bassically a 3k and 4k gsk.......which one is better for an auto tranny, and whats this i hear about u can "click" the stock one???? and what plate is good for bombin people out and still a daily driver??

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
I would get the a 4K kit, but if you don't want to install HD valve springs then only get the 3K. A 4K works well w/ any truck, w/ the auto it will shift before you rev to high anywase. A 4K should only cost a little more and sometimes its the same. If you buy a 4K and leave the littlist spring out you will have a 3K and you could upgrade whenever you wanted to. But remember the valvesprings.

You can shim or tighten the springs but it makes the throttle touchy so its harder to drive on the street. theres a how to about the shims here http://www.thedieselgarage.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15496

·
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
bout how much do hd springs cost?? and how big of a pain is it to install. also...what the actuall benifits of doing this???

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
The HD srings are $55 for six so $110. They are required to avoid piston valve contact that is posible when going over 3500 rpm.

I'm not sure how everyone else installs (genos garge sells a tool to do it w/ the head still on) then but I'm going to pull my head and install a marine head gasket at the same time. If I had a bigger turbo I'd install head studs ando-rings too.

·
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
well yeah i reckon i better get me a set oh hd springs cuz i sure in the hell dont wanna replace valves ANY time soon. but no one has answerd my question of "CLICKING" the stock one?? plus with 370 marine injectors are they bassically all about smoke or is there a noticable hp gain?

·
Registered
2,838 Posts
the stock ones clicked will give you a very touchy throttle, if you want too i beleive 3 clicks tighter on either side will allow you to fuel to about 3200, i would suggest just getting the kit, $96 from citydiesel.net for a 3gsk, $110 for a 4gsk, the 370s do make power, they are very smokey and will haze at idle due to the incorrect spray pattern for our automotive pistons, there designed for marine pistons, but yes they are cheap power and can flow a ton of fuel

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
:iagree Using thinner washers with 370's gets them in the head deeper which helps but they still haze especially when its cold outside.

·
Tebow-in'...
1,243 Posts
Dual K20s said:
The HD srings are $55 for six so $110. They are required to avoid piston valve contact that is posible when going over 3500 rpm....
so why only get springs for exhaust and not intake? not necessary on intake side - ever? :popcorn:

·
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ok i get it for the most part...so will the 370's do any type of damage to the piston or cylinder walls?? or do ya'll have a better recomendation of what injectors i should get? i aint wantin(right now) no 500hp or nuthin just enough to keep up with some stuff.

does anybody truck seem to get really loose on steering when ya mash it and the turbo kicks in?? cuz mine does?

B

·
0 Posts
370's will not harm anything other than people/things around your exhuast pipe.

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
mudguppy said:
so why only get springs for exhaust and not intake? not necessary on intake side - ever? :popcorn:
They are for both (same springs for both side too) Often people only install the springs in the exhaust side when they use exhaust brakes (when applied the brake creates so much backpressure it will hold the valves open) When you install a GSK you should install the HD springs on both the intake and exhaust.

·
Tebow-in'...
1,243 Posts
Dual K20s said:
...When you install a GSK you should install the HD springs on both the intake and exhaust.
kinda what i figured and planned on. thanx for clarifying. :Thumbup:

seen the instructions/tips for changing springs but didn't copy them. :damnit got a link??

·
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
well thats good as long as no harm(to my truck)is done then ill be happy. still anyone got a sugjestion plate size?

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
If you can control yourselfand keep out of the throttle some times then a #0. If you can't then a #100 for big power and #10 if you tow.

·
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
thanks guys i ground the plate to about a 100 i dont think i got it EXACTLY where it should be but its still a smokey muther! lol but does anyone happen to have a blueprint something along that lines of how to go about makin a heat sheild for a bhaf

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
http://cumminsdatabase.com/read.php?id=15 about halfway down there is a link for the template. You have to print it out and tape it together, its a little tricky because it doesn't print an any order but it works out fine, trust me I got mine to fit together.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts