The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
TDG MAFIA MEMBER #71
1,288 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What guages do I need, electrical or mechanical, boost and how much of a sweep on the boost, pyro, what other guages should I purchase?

B

·
0 Posts
Welcome to TDG!

I am going to move this post to the appropirate forum for you to get the most answers to your questions.

·
TDG MAFIA MEMBER #71
1,288 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
:thanks: I'm not sure how to use the forum correctly just yet.

·
1,726 Posts
The important ones are EGT, Trans temp (automatic), and Boost.

Since your trucks a manual trans temp isn't much of an issue. Some say a differential temp gauge is a good idea if you have the room and are pulling heavy loads in hot temperatures.

A typical gauge range is 0-1500 EGT, and 0-30 or 35 psi boost. You shouldn't get much higher than 30 with a stock turbo and injectors.

·
1,291 Posts
POWER STROKE 99 said:
What guages do I need, electrical or mechanical, boost and how much of a sweep on the boost, pyro, what other guages should I purchase?

Pyro and boost - the boost is much cheaper and easier to install if you get mech. the pyro is electrical you have no choice. pic a style from Isspro or autometer and i can shoot you a price quote. being that you have a manual you really dont need any other gauges but you can always get more

·
Hotsauce2138
496 Posts
definitely hit up Jeremy @ lidiesel.com, he'll take care of you!

·
TDG MAFIA MEMBER #71
1,288 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
LIPD said:
Pyro and boost - the boost is much cheaper and easier to install if you get mech. the pyro is electrical you have no choice. pic a style from Isspro or autometer and i can shoot you a price quote. being that you have a manual you really dont need any other gauges but you can always get more
I prefer the electrical, it is nothing for me to install. I would like to install the 2 1/16 C2 series by auto meter, pyro and boost both electric. I have the electrical guages in my 1996 2wd F-350 CC dually.

·
Premium Member
4,090 Posts
I just can't believe this thread has been active for 10 hrs and CSIPSD hasn't chimed in yet.

As already stated, the major monitoring points are Boost, Pyro, and Tranny Temp.

I stuck a 4-gauge pod in mine and added a fuel pressure (mechanical with an isolator under the hood) gauge.

CSIPSD (Joe) has about eleventy-seven gauges in his truck. Look for his pics in the Member Gallery.

prt

·
1,726 Posts
I just can't believe this thread has been active for 10 hrs and CSIPSD hasn't chimed in yet.
:whs

·
6,337 Posts
Wellllllllll, Sorry... I had a birthday to go to...LOL

I prefer Isspro myself but have both. I would get a Pyro, boost, and Fuel pressure in your case. Fuel pressure is more important then Diff in MHO... I have yet to see a truck DOA from a bad diff, but have seen LOTs for bad fuel filters, pumps and the likes...

Check my pics for mounting options, the two gauge around the factory cluster is very nice if you just go with two...

Attachments

·
TDG MAFIA MEMBER #71
1,288 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
How much of a sweep do I need on the boost?

·
4,024 Posts
If you have a stock turbo, 30-35psi will be all you need.

·
TDG MAFIA MEMBER #71
1,288 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Should I buy the vaccum/boost or just boost and how much of a sweep on fuel pressure.

·
1,726 Posts
POWER STROKE 99 said:
Should I buy the vaccum/boost or just boost and how much of a sweep on fuel pressure.
A diesel will never pull vaccum so you only need a boost gauge. You will want a 0 to 100 psi fuel pressure gauge. I am not sure what the pressure is with a stock regulator (unshimmed) but we normally shoot for 60 ot 70 psi with a regulated return setup.

·
Hotsauce2138
496 Posts
yea man dont buy a vaccum/boost guage thats wat i had then i traded up b/c it was a waste, b/c it will never pull any vaccum.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts