The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
928 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Look what I found on my porch when I got home!

I know what I'm doing this weekend! :thumbsup

·
62 Posts
Oh baby!! like christmas in june!!!!!!!! get the sawzall, 5 lb hammer and the kitty gutter ready to go!!

Slick!

·
1,052 Posts
You are in for a few hours under the truck.
If you have jack stands use them to hold the exhaust in place before you tighten it all up.
Bill

·
********* and Mafia #90
14,261 Posts
It least its in one piece, UPS doesn't care to much about stuff that is not theirs :(

Now go put it on :whip

·
928 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm a bit intimidated but I think I can handle it. I'm hoping I don't have to cut much since it's made for the longest wheelbase which I believe I have. (CC / LB) But I have the Sawz-All just in case! :thumbsup

The PO was kind enough to lose the cat for me. :sly

I have a few jacks and some wood blocks, but no jack stands. Maybe I'll pick some up tomorrow.

I will reserve comment on UPS until the second box arrives. :haha

And of course I will document the process with some pics! :D

I will say I feel much more comfortable tackling this knowing that TDG is here should I run into a problem. :happymugs

Reactions: merlin5577

·
1,052 Posts
When I did my exhaust the turbo to exhaust was the hardest for me. I loosened the clamp at the turbo then from under the truck smacked the exhaust with a mallet a few different ways it came lose.
IYou do have to cut the down pipe at the bend to drop the down pipe out if you are doing the turbo back exhaust. The one pipe that is from the down pipe will need some cuting since you have a shorter wheel base. Save the pipe to do a DIY intake.
Good luck
Bill

·
Gone Fishin...
3,099 Posts
Sweet find man, should be a nice addition. Dont forget to retighten the clamps after a few hundred miles.

·
TDG Mafia Goon
3,710 Posts
I would suggest spending whatever half an hour of shop time is at muffler shop and have them weld it up after you are done. I don't trust the clamps.

·
Official TDG Doctor
5,281 Posts
I hate to sound like a **** but is exhaust harder for you guys then on a cummins? I had mine done in a little over a hour in the driveway....my new 'girlfriend' wants to put 5" duals on her 01 7.3...I wouldnt think it would be much different...

Sorry to hi jack

Nate

·
Lurking
206 Posts
Very nice ......:thumbsup
You'll love the new sound...:happymugs

·
928 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks all! :rock

I think I have the longest wheelbase, yes? Crew cab longbed? Eh, if i have to cut it I will, I just hate cutting tubing with a sawz-all or hacksaw, I never get a straight cut. No one will see it, but it will bother me that it exists.

Thanks for the tip Merlin but I may just take Bomb's advice and take it to an exhaust shop for some welding. I've never been a big fan of those clamps either.

I feel like a kid with a new toy, it's going to be a good Saturday ... if it doesn't rain on me, and I don't break anything (on the truck or my body), and it all stays on after I take the jacks out!

·
8,265 Posts
The sawzall will be for cutting the old exhaust off LOL Its amazing just how much easier the stock exhaust comes off with a sawzall...

Like was said...get it all up there and set before you do any tightening of the clamps. Once you tighten the clamps...it can be very difficult to re-adjust the exhaust...if for example...the spare tire rubs the exhaust :damnit

Start pre-soaking the downpipe at the turbo connection. Give it a good soak and let it sit for a day or so. It will help. And if you can have another set of hands helping ya with the downpipe it would be great. Somebody on top to tighten and adjust...while you are under the truck making sure that it isnt getting in the way somewhere.

·
TDG MAFIA MEMBER #77
940 Posts
Dito what 4cstr said. A second set of hands makes the down pipe a lot easier.

·
Mod Friendly Title
2,695 Posts
Definitely grab a helper.... Makes things much easier, especially putting in the new down pipe. Cut the factor exhaust right at the down pipe (assuming it is a turbo back exhaust), then cut it wherever else you feel necessary. Down pipe comes out through the bottom of the truck.

hc, the exhaust is easy to do. We got mine done in an afternoon, and thats cause we spent the whole afternoon running around town looking for a new V band clamp for my turbo since the nut twisted off on mine.

·
928 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Unfortunately there will be no extra hands, just mine. :thumbdown

·
928 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well, I got it on there! :thumbsup

Took me about 4 hours.

All I can say is wow! She can breathe, and she likes it. Turbo is much more responsive. V8 growls at 2k rpm. I can even blow a little smoke. It's probably the protective coating burning off - but I like it! I can't wait to get the intake on and see what she does.

I think my SD will be much happier pulling that camper now! :coal

·
1,052 Posts

Took me about 4 hours.

All I can say is wow! She can breathe, and she likes it. Turbo is much more responsive. V8 growls at 2k rpm. I can even blow a little smoke. It's probably the protective coating burning off - but I like it! I can't wait to get the intake on and see what she does.

I don't know what Intake your are getting but you will be real surprised in the response.
Glad you happy
Congratulations another job done.
Bill

·
928 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I don't know what Intake your are getting but you will be real surprised in the response.
Glad you happy
Congratulations another job done.
Bill
Thanks Bill!

I'm getting a Tymar from Tymar. It should be here monday! :thumbsup

·
Gone Fishin...
3,099 Posts

Took me about 4 hours.

:nopics

1 - 20 of 23 Posts