The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Slow 6.0
1,554 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a question for you guys, i was under the impression the extreme race file locks the converter up at WOT when the tranny shifts into 2nd gear, on my truck however my rpms on the 1-2 shift dont drop anymore then they do with the extreme street file that uses the stock converter lock up strategy aka doesnt lock at full throttle till 70mph. on the 2-3 shift the converter locks up and i can tell because the tach drops 1000rpms from 4k to 3k and the truck pulls like a train. right now my rpms drop maybe 300rpms on the 1-2 shift, the truck feels real strong leaving at 20psi on a boosted launch, then kind of lays over when its in 2nd and starts pulling again when it hits third. i was just wondering if only my truck was like that or if this is how everyones is. if it is supposed to lock in 2nd then whats the fix?

if its normal to only see a few hundred rpm drop from 1-2 at wot with the x race tune then why are the shift points raced on the extreme race on the 1-2 shift? the way it is now it shifts out of first at 4k but only drops to about 3750, theres no power there the truck lays over. i can see the need to wind it up a bit higher if the converter is locked up so that the rpms dont fall to low in the next gear but the extreme street honestly feels quicker to 3rd gear then extreme race due to its lower 1-2 shift rpm (3750) keeping the engine in the power. sure would be nice to get the lockup as soon as it shifts 2nd, im thicking it would knock a couple tenths off ET.

i know this a race tune and maybe this is the way its supposed to be but the converter locks up randomly during part throttle driving with light pedal input, some times taking off normal the converter will lock up in 2nd gear then shift into third and unlock, other times it accelerates threw the gears without locking/unlocking the converter at weird times, seems like it has to do with certain throttle positions. is it possible to get this tune to use normal converter lock up strategy at part throttle but still have the "race" style lockup at wot?

·
3,306 Posts
Yeah talk to eric about whats happeining. It's suppose to lock up from 2-5th. I kinda notice the same thing with mine. Most of the time it'll shift into OD at like 60mph and the torque converter will lock up. But sometimes it'll go into OD and lockup at like 45mph and lug like a mother f****r. This is what i don't understand, so maybe it's got to do with throttle position. It's a race file so the way this file makes the tranny shift has alot to do with how it'll act on the street as a daily driving file. I'm driving it right now as my daily driver tune, but you really got to learn how to use it as a daily driver file. It's intended purpose was for race.

·
105 Posts
That tune is a great tune to race with but I don't feel all that comfortable driving around the street with it. My truck shifts the same as yours and pulls the hardest in OD. I don't like the locked converter in OD at 45 mph. I think this is what did my hg's in. Lugging the motor like that is putting a tremendous amount of stress on the head bolts and everything else. Its the only time i can get my truck to hit 30+ pounds of boost.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Lockup is 2nd on up. In OD, the converter locks by throttle position and mph. So, if you are 1/4 pedal, it may lock at 45mph or so. If you have half throttle, it'll be around 55mph. If you are at WOT, it'll lock right after the the shift.

The race is a good daily driver, but not necessarily tuned to be a daily driver. The number one priority is safely getting you from point A to point B as quickly as possible. If the tire size is set correctly, it should do very well. Most of our performance oriented customers drive the Race file daily.

·
68 Posts
yeah what ^^^^^^^ said.The only time I take that tune out of my truck is when I'm towing my race car...

·
Registered
1 Posts
Fellas, what are all the different tunes eric offers? This is what I have pieced together from reading this thread. Street, xtremstreet, agressive street, and xtreme race. If I am missing any let me know. Thanks

1 - 9 of 9 Posts