The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Have an 88 f250 with the 7.3 idi, have the typical hard start after sitting all night so I did the typical repairs such as, replaced glowplug relay, glow plugs, and did the injector o-rings, caps and return lines. When I did the injector o-rings I took the pump gear housing off as it was leaking oil and needed to be resealed. I marked the gears and the housing and thought I put everything back together with all the marks lining up properly. I bled the fuels lines and made sure I have pressure at the bleeder on the fuel filter. But now the truck won't start at all. Is it possible im off a tooth one way or another and would that create a no start issue? If it is a tooth off, is there an easier fix to the timing other than taking the housing off and realigning everything? Any help,would be greatly appreciated as I would like to drive the truck finally. Thanks for any help or suggestions. Nick

·
93 Posts
I had a similar hard start problem on an 89 f350 with the 7.3 idi. I discovered the lift pump was faulty. it did not prevent fuel bleed back while the truck was parked. this required a long crank to refill the fuel filter. The injector pump timing gear has a timing mark on it that must align with the drive gear. seeing the mark on the drive gear may require a mirror because the mark is on the face of the gear. It may prove difficult to find without taking off the water pump and the from engine cover to gain access.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts