The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone explain to me the details of how the glow plug relay(s) work. I have been having trouble starting the truck in cold weather, and after checking the power and grounds on both relays on top of the engine I am not sure exactly what I am supposed to be seeing. I need to know how to test the 2 relays on top of the engine.

Please explain to me when the relays are supposed to be energized, deenergized ect. What wires are hot in which key positions etc.

I just replaced both batteries. The glow plug light comes on, goes out and then I start the truck. The engine will start and die 2 or 3 times. Then it will finally stay started but will shake violently and make horrible noises. It is fine after warming up.

·
TDG Mafia Member # 37
901 Posts
Look in the Ford modifications and product and tech info and install forum, and read the article Hard/ No start diagnosing. It explains how to check the glow plug relay as well as other tests. The rough idling is most likely what they call romp and it is from the oil being too thick. gene :mafia

·
268 Posts
Same thing happened to me when I use to drive my dads truck to school, Whenever it would get below a certain degrees it would start 2 to 3 times and die out and after it got started it would have a horrible idle. I plugged it in and it would start right up for me.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts