477 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found it on a couple of other forums.

TSB 09-24-3 6.0L DIESEL CALIBRATION UPDATE - VARIOUS ISSUES

Publication Date: November 20, 2009

FORD: 2003-2005 Excursion
2003-2007 F-Super Duty
2004-2010 E-Series

This article supersedes TSB 9-7-11 to update the model years covered and Integrated Diagnostic System (IDS) calibration level.

ISSUE:
Some 2003-2007 F-Super Duty vehicles, 2003-2005 Excursions and 2004-2010 E-Series vehicles, equipped with a 6.0L diesel engine may exhibit hard start, no start, white smoke, lack of power, running rough condition after cold engine start up, or diagnostic trouble codes (DTCs) P0404, P0470, P0611, P1260 and/or P1378 issues. Refer to the Calibration Content for information detailing specific vehicle content by vehicle application and model year that is being addressed by this calibration update.

This article includes previously released calibration content that improves injector performance in cold engine operation and additional diagnostic capabilities and product protection strategy enhancements. These enhancements provide additional diagnostic capabilities, adds additional new DTCs and engine protection strategies. Refer to the Calibration Content for additional details. See the appropriate Powertrain Control/Emissions Diagnostic (PC/ED) manual for technical descriptions and diagnostic routines associated with new DTCs.

ACTION:
Reprogram the powertrain control module (PCM) using IDS release 63.13 and higher or 64.01 and higher. The transmission control module (TCM) and fuel injector control module (FICM) , will automatically update if they are not at the latest calibration level. This new calibration is not included in the VCM 2009.11 DVD. Calibration files may also be obtained at MOTORCRAFT PARTS FOR FORD, LINCOLN OR MERCURY VEHICLES.

CALIBRATION CONTENT

Reprogram the PCM to the latest calibration following Workshop Manual (WSM), Section 418-01.

The PCM and FICM calibration update contains improvement actions to address the following symptoms:

2005 F-Super Duty 6.0L:

False DTC P0470 - Exhaust pressure sensor A circuit fault due to a freezing condition.
False DTC P0404 - Exhaust gas recirculation (EGR) performance due to a stuck turbocharger condition.
Cooling loss protection - Revised engine protection strategy when an engine over-temperature condition is present. Vehicles updated with this service calibration will display higher temperature gauge readings when high engine oil temperature (EOT) conditions or high engine coolant temperature (ECT) are encountered and may disable EGR operation to prevent possible EGR cooler damage.
Oil cooler efficiency monitor - DTC P012F stored and wrench warning lamp illuminated when the oil coolers efficiency drops below a specified threshold for a given speed and vehicle load condition.
Turbocharger vane sweep strategy - Performs a sweep of the turbocharger vanes and unison ring during stationary idle conditions. Vane sweep can occur once per hour to help reduce turbocharger sticking.
FICM low voltage detection monitor - DTC P0560 stored and wrench warning lamp illuminated when PCM vehicle power (VPWR) parameter identifier (PIDS) is below 10.25V for 60 seconds or below 9V for 4 seconds.
Turbocharger over boost detection - DTC P0234 stored and wrench warning lamp illuminated when a turbocharger over boost condition occurs.
2006-2007 F-Super Duty 6.0L:

False DTC P0404 - EGR performance due to a stuck turbocharger condition.
Cooling loss protection - Revised engine protection strategy when an engine over-temperature condition is present. Vehicles updated with this service calibration will display higher temperature gauge readings when high EOT conditions or high ECT are encountered and may disable EGR operation to prevent possible EGR cooler damage.
Oil cooler efficiency monitor - DTC P012F stored and wrench warning lamp illuminated when the oil coolers efficiency drops below a specified threshold for a given speed and vehicle load condition.
FICM low voltage detection monitor - DTC P0560 stored and wrench warning lamp illuminated when PCM VPWR PIDS is below 10.25V for 60 seconds or below 9V for 4 seconds.
Turbocharger over boost detection - DTC P0234 stored and wrench warning lamp illuminated when a turbocharger over boost condition occurs.
2005-2007 And 2009-2010 E-Series 6.0L:

False DTC P0470 Exhaust pressure sensor A circuit fault due to a freezing condition.
False DTC P0404 EGR Performance due to a stuck turbocharger condition.
Cooling loss protection - Revised engine protection strategy when an engine over-temperature condition is present. Vehicles updated with this service calibration will display higher temperature gauge readings when high EOT conditions or high ECT are encountered and may disable EGR operation to prevent possible EGR cooler damage.
FICM low voltage detection monitor - DTC P0560 stored and wrench warning lamp illuminated when PCM VPWR PIDS is below 10.25V for 60 seconds or below 9V for 4 seconds.
Turbocharger vane sweep strategy - Performs a sweep of the turbocharger vanes and unison ring during stationary idle conditions. Vane sweep can occur once per hour to help reduce turbocharger sticking
2008 E-Series 6.0L:

False DTC P0470 - Exhaust pressure sensor A circuit fault due to a freezing condition.
False DTC P0404 - EGR performance due to a stuck turbocharger condition.
False P1260 induced during cranking due to low battery voltage.
Generic on-board diagnostics (OBD) improvements including; Mode 1, Mode 2, Mode 4 and J1699 OBD data test results as reported to the service tool.
Turbocharger vane sweep strategy - Performs a sweep of the turbocharger vanes and unison ring during stationary idle conditions. Vane sweep can occur once per hour to help reduce turbocharger sticking
Previous released calibration content included in IDS software release 48.2 or higher for: 2003-2007 F-Super Duty, 2003-2005 Excursion and 2004-2008 E-Series 6.0L diesel equipped vehicles:

White smoke, lack of power, running rough condition after cold engine start up due to injector spool valve sticking internally during cold engine operation.
No start/hard start when accompanied with DTC P0611 (FICM Performance), P1378 (FICM System Voltage Low) and/or all eight (8) injector circuit codes.
The new calibration changes the frequency of injector spool valve shuttling under certain conditions and will sound differently from previously released versions.

WARRANTY STATUS:
Eligible Under Provisions Of New Vehicle Limited Warranty Coverage And Emissions Warranty Coverage
IMPORTANT: Warranty coverage limits/policies are not altered by a TSB. Warranty coverage limits are determined by the identified causal part.

OPERATION DESCRIPTION TIME
092403A 2004-2010 Econoline, 2003-2007 F-Super Duty, 2003-2005 Excursion 6.0L: Check For DTCs And Reprogram The PCM (Do Not Use With Any Other Labor Operations) 0.6 Hr.

DEALER CODING
BASIC PART NO. CONDITION CODE
RECALEM 04

·
SLAPS President
3,027 Posts
I believe that is the latest reflash for this engine. It has been out for a little while now.

·
9/11/01 343
697 Posts
IF that one has been out then why is the pub date Nov 20 2009 ? just curious.

·
SLAPS President
3,027 Posts
IF that one has been out then why is the pub date Nov 20 2009 ? just curious.
Well, I could be wrong.. But it sounds just like the one that came out a while back (couple of months or so)... Who knows, maybe they have another one now.. It certainly wouldn't be the first time they have put out flashes in quick succession with this engine.............

·
9/11/01 343
697 Posts
OK so this is a new one then what is the benefits of the new flash ? What exactly will it help and do ?

·
537 Posts
And it is garbage GARBAGE!!!!!! I have it and my truck is down on power now. It is very weak taking off. Up top it is ok, not as good as it used to be. Eric I need a new tune! I just had my FICM replaced and head gaskets and a injector. (and Studs :wiggle ) 2 weeks ago. EDIT: and EGR delete! And it gets worse mileage. I can only get 14 on the Highway now. I used to get 16 to 17 @ 70 mph with my extreme street tune with 35" tires.

·
8 Posts
Its a good flash. It used to be, the only time you noticed that the oil cooler was stopped up, taking out your egr cooler, was when it was pouring smoke out of the tailpipe. Now, it sets a code when the coolant temp gets out of spec between both coolers. If you've changed perameters (either by deletes or programming) you wont get many benefits of the flash, and it may cause some driveability issues. If you're stock, ITS A GOOD FLASH!

·
3,306 Posts
I had my truck into the dealer last week to repair a fuseable link and my buddy who was working on the truck asked me if i wanted ford's latest flash and i told him no. Only reason why i said no is because i have ID's modded FICM and if i had him do it i would've lost the modded FICM recalibration that eric at ID did and i would've had to pay another 200 bucks to have it done again. I have another FICM But just am wondering if i should get this ford reflash sometime down the road and if it's something that's really gonna help the truck out.

·
illadvised and dangerous
405 Posts
Strokin I would pass on that flash... I took my truck in a few months ago and when they flashed my truck it came out with a lot more power but the mpgs are not any better... Ficm tuning will come once I find a spare ficm

·
537 Posts
Strokin I would pass on that flash... I took my truck in a few months ago and when they flashed my truck it came out with a lot more power but the mpgs are not any better... Ficm tuning will come once I find a spare ficm
yours came out with more power? Mine feels weaker with the SCT tunes now and weaker in stock form also.

·
illadvised and dangerous
405 Posts
When I first got the truck it seemed ok. Tuned it with the bd trial tune and after that I hated stock... Fast forward to a few months ago I returned it to stock took it in to get the spedo calibrated for the tires.. Long story short they couldn't get it calibrated but the truck ran similar to a 75-100hp tune but stock... It blows black smoke and the egts get there pretty quick. I tuned it then returned to stock and it was still that way. I checked the strategy and it hasn't changed it still matched my tunes.

·
864 Posts
Im with Lilgsx, my mileage went down with the latest flash i got a couple months ago, If theres a drop in performance i wouldnt know cause i run IDs extreme tunes all the time and they rock. I put it to stock few weeks ago for giggles and i felt like 90 year old man driving down the street, petal to the floor and going no where :thumbdown.

·
Registered
2,997 Posts
We have done 10 or so trucks with this latest revision. We have had nothing but success. You obviously will have driveability issues if you do not update your tuning to match the ficm calibration. That's just common sense.

·
537 Posts
We have done 10 or so trucks with this latest revision. We have had nothing but success. You obviously will have driveability issues if you do not update your tuning to match the ficm calibration. That's just common sense.
Josh!! I need a tune or two or three... Your turbo is still a spinnin just fine in the truck.:thumbsup

·
422 Posts
I just had my 06 F250 6.0L reflashed by Ford. I did this on the outside chance that I would get an improved baseline to start from. I've had coldstart issues at less than 10 deg F. I also get shift flairing on occasion.
Since it's so hard to predict the weather, I didn't want to set up a service appointment with Ford not knowing whether the temperature would be low enough to reproduce the symptom I'm having on rare occasions.
Is it typical for the dealer to refuse to tell you the reflash version number....just had mine done this morning. Asked both my service rep and the service foreman; neither would budge on telling me my original flash version or the new on they were installing. Wondering whether they did anything at all to my truck.

·
Registered
197 Posts
I had the flash done last two weeks ago along with a new FICM. If it does what it says it does to protect, then I'm happy with it. So far it feels close to the old flash strategy, don't know what it was, but power seems to come more smoothly. MPG's seem to be the same if not better, I still haven't gone through a tank yet!

I also kind of like the turbo vane sweep strategy they put in it, sounds kinda cool!

·
Truck pullin' S.O.B.
162 Posts
I get the wrench light on my work truck when pulling a long pull and I get the P0234 code took it to the dealer told them about this TSB and they told me there wasn't any updates for my truck.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts