The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
TDG MAFIA MEMBER #77
940 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A friend (Derek) at work walked in my office the other day and tells me that a close friend and great diesel mechanic was talking after a BB game the other day. The mechanic asked him if he has noticed a loss in power and fuel mileage since the ULSD hit the market. Derek told him he has lost power and upwards of 3-4 mpg. The mechanic told him that he needs to change his fuel filter, run 1 tank through the filter, change the filter and do it again. He said to do it 3 times then he wouldn't have to change the filter out for 10k.

The mechanic told Derek that this procedure will "Pull all the sulpher out of the engine" and that he would get better fuel mileage and his power back.
He said he has done this to his truck and got his missing power back and his mileage has gone back up.

Anyone heard of this?:shrug:

The mechanic drives one of the fastest Dodge trucks in the state, and Derek drives an 03 Dmax.

·
1,726 Posts
Sounds like maybe that stuff loosens all the CRUD in the fuel tank and sends it up to the engine.

Good to know :thanks:

·
1,921 Posts
I think it has less to do with the "sulfer in the engine" and more to do with it being more of a detergent and is breaking up the gunk and grime in the fuel system. Bio diesel does the same thing.

·
Premium Member
5,220 Posts
I know my mileage sucks, I'm gonna have to try that............

kevin

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
I'm due for a filter anyway. I'm gonna track my mileage before/after and see if this works.

·
535 Posts
hmmm interesting noy all i have to do is figure out how to change the filter haha

·
Registered
2,037 Posts
I have noticed my mileage go down about 2-3 MPG in the last few mouths. I will definitely have to try this out, I hope it dose the trick.
:smoke

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
So far it sounds like a good parts washer solvent!

·
1,726 Posts
RacerX said:
So far it sounds like a good parts washer solvent!

I haven't been around any of it yet. Does it stink less than the LSD?
If it doesn't stink up the shop that might be a good idea!

·
862 Posts
it being more of a detergent and is breaking up the gunk and grime in the fuel system. Bio diesel does the same thing.
Correctomundo.

The BTU difference between ULSD and LSD is only about 1%, so mileage should not noticeably be affected. However, ULSD was introduced in many areas about the same time that winter blend diesel hit the pumps. So if your tank and fuel system is clean, but you are still suffering in the mileage department, then compare your mileage from last winter and not from a few months ago.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
racehauler said:
I haven't been around any of it yet. Does it stink less than the LSD?
If it doesn't stink up the shop that might be a good idea!

Haven't used it yet. I got a sweet deal pumping out a heating oil tank that will last me a while. The same as old #2 diesel. Know guys who buy that and have it delivered to a tank at their house. The old gunk concentrate with diesel mix was a stinker! LOL

·
2,106 Posts
RacerX said:
Haven't used it yet. I got a sweet deal pumping out a heating oil tank that will last me a while. The same as old #2 diesel. Know guys who buy that and have it delivered to a tank at their house. The old gunk concentrate with diesel mix was a stinker! LOL

The heating oil..... I had the idea of using some of that a while back and had a buddy sternly tell me not to. He said it was diesel mixed with stove-oil. Is that bad to put in my truck???

1 - 13 of 13 Posts