The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
took the schools 97 e-350 12 pas shuttle bus to the shop for a fuel leak in the valley of death i thought it was blue lines under fuel filter, regulater they said it was that and the head gasket leaking fuel into the valley . there is no antifreeze in oil ,oil in antifreeze ,or fuel in either only fuel in valley can the head gasket leak fuel?
thanks kirk:usflag
 

·
Destroked
Joined
·
1,658 Posts
I cant really see how, did they check the lines and the rubber gromnets on the lines going to the heads???? They can start leaking.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
4,247 Posts
They lie.

There is NO FUEL at all that runs anywhere near the headgasket, nor THRU it, so it could not possibally leak from one either.
 

·
Senior Member
Joined
·
1,921 Posts
John_G said:
They lie.

There is NO FUEL at all that runs anywhere near the headgasket, nor THRU it, so it could not possibally leak from one either.
Agreed! Fuel doen'st even run anywhere under the gasket until it's injected by the injector. Take the van away from that shop right away! They obviously have no clue what they are talking about. Get some superclean or something and spray the entire area down then spray it all down with a hose and get it nice and clean. Start it up and watch it. If it's not leaking fast enough sitting there idleing take it for a short drive and check it again. Check and make sure it's got the triangular gasket on the fuel bowl lid. NAPA and some other places that you get filters from don't come with the right gasket and they will leak.
 

·
Ol Dirt Contractor
Joined
·
2,803 Posts
DieselDadio said:
took the schools 97 e-350 12 pas shuttle bus to the shop for a fuel leak in the valley of death i thought it was blue lines under fuel filter, regulater they said it was that and the head gasket leaking fuel into the valley . there is no antifreeze in oil ,oil in antifreeze ,or fuel in either only fuel in valley can the head gasket leak fuel?
thanks kirk:usflag
Sounds like a pathetic excuse to make a leak in the school districts pocketbook doing a complete engine change.:damnit

My neighbor came over with a steering noise on his 4wd F250. I looked at the front knuckle joints and sure enough they were junk. He went to the local Ford dealer and the service manager wrote up “knucle joints”. When he got the truck back they told him it wasn’t the knuckle joints but the front driveline. Sent him off with a $500 bill for a driveline. Now he sez it’s still making the noise.. Oh well..:shrug:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thats kinda what i said to the head of the school i usually take care of this unit but i cant work under the hood on the van ive tried im not as "svelt" as i used to be . this is a small private Christian School i was tring to help by not doing it outside in the weather dec 21 the first of many snow storms here in denver area. i will suggest to the head of the school to pull it and go to another shop
thanks kirk
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
went to the shop to day and they showed me were it was leaking from they had removed the turbo and there it was looking up to the front of the engine on the left (driver side) valley side of head rite at the back corner between the head and block was the leak only when running just leaks no spray. when you park it over nite after driving it, it leaves a stain about the size of dinner plate any ideas?
thanks kirk
 

·
Senior Member
Joined
·
1,921 Posts
Make sure it's not leaking from up higher and running down to that point. There is no pressure in that area to be forceing fuel out unless it's comming from the fitting higher up in the head.
 

·
Ol Dirt Contractor
Joined
·
2,803 Posts
:whs The head gasket cannot be the source, no fuel touches the head gasket until it’s sprayed from the injector in the cylinder. At that point it’s not in the wet state because compression causes it to ignite.

There’s a fuel fitting on each end of the head at the highest point, 1/8” npt. Prolly the line or cap nut at that point.. Another one of Ford’s fuel system follies..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
where i saw it was rite below that fitting but it was not washed clean like the corner is and they as well thought the fitting was leaking they said they have never seen a leak there before they are not believing it either could the head have cracked? could it be leaking from the intake? it is just above that corner. could the head have cracked inside below that fuel fitting ? can you turn it over without starting it to see if it will leak(how) the turbo is off ?
the evidence seems to point to that spot.
thanks kirk
 

·
Ol Dirt Contractor
Joined
·
2,803 Posts
There’s a plug at the end of the fuel rail on each end of the head that has a o-ring on it. It’s flat and the head is about the size of a quarter. 1/4” square will remove it. A crack would be a long shot, I’ve never heard of that. Here’s some picts of the head end showing that plug.

The white wire shows fuel flow galleys.

That 97 has a cam driven fuel pump so cranking it over to pressurize is hard on the starter.. Could be done tho...
 

Attachments

·
A mobile wrench
Joined
·
55 Posts
Feeder line

DieselDadio said:
where i saw it was rite below that fitting but it was not washed clean like the corner is and they as well thought the fitting was leaking they said they have never seen a leak there before they are not believing it either could the head have cracked? could it be leaking from the intake? it is just above that corner. could the head have cracked inside below that fuel fitting ? can you turn it over without starting it to see if it will leak(how) the turbo is off ?
the evidence seems to point to that spot.
thanks kirk
As stated by other, I would bet it's the feeder line, I replaced one on a friend truck(95) the line vibrate & rub on the block, worn a pin hole in the line. There is 2 of them, from the filter to the rear pass side head & front driver side.
wrench
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
i took some picts but not able to figure out how to post them yet. any help ?
 

·
Ol Dirt Contractor
Joined
·
2,803 Posts
Prolly need to resize the picts.. I can do it if you e-mail them to me.. I‘ll send a PM with my address...
 
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Top