The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
resident mason
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A buddy of mines got an 06 lbz with 140k on it. I just saw him today and we're shootin the crap and I asked how the trucks running and he told me a head gasket went and that the stealership quoted him 6 THOUSAND to replace it! We were in the grocery store w/ the women so I didn't get all the specifics but seems to me you could do several head gaskets for 6 grand. I looked on here for some tech threads on doing it cause he wants to fix it as inexpensively as possible but found none. Has anyone here done one or know of a good place to look for info on the job? All he ever ran on the truck was a 100 hp tune and that shouldn't have caused the problem so what would besides just a poor quality gasket? Thanks- Neil.

·
Toyaholic
250 Posts
When you exceed 35 psi boost, you start running the risk. especially on a higher mile motor. from the sounds of that price, they plan on pullin motor. Job can be perfomed with engine in, just a bit more awkward. also, a good investment would be studs.

·
truckn'
1,720 Posts
its only nuts and bolts....it can be fixed...id put studs in while i had it open also

Reactions: firehillbilly

·
CRAZY CANUCK
4,320 Posts
agreed, i think the GM rate time on something like that would be from 30-40hrs, so about 3000-4000 for labor and a few hundred more for gaskets, sounds like they dont know what they are talking about, it shouldnt even cost as much as i figure, tell him to find a buddy with a set of wrenches and order the stuff from Merchant Automotive, im sure he'd be more than willing to help a guy out, and i third the studs, if your gona pull it apart anyways you might as well stud it

www.merchant-automotive.com Eric is a vendor here

·
182 Posts
GM is probably counting in the cost for having the heads check for flatness (not sure if thats the technical term) But if they aren't flat I think GM says the warped head needs replaced b/c you aren't supposed to machine the heads.

·
dieselgeezer
18 Posts
If you want to play, you have to pay. A 100 HP tune voids the warranty and exceeds the design parameters of the Dmax. You can get one to exceed 800 hp....for 30 seconds, then it blows up. I've seen several photo essays of a step-by-step head gasket replacement. It's a lot of work and involves a lot of wrenching and cleaning. If the heads are badly warped, they must be replaced, ditto injectors and glow-plugs. While it's apart it's easier to replace the water-pump. A new engine runs $15K. 6 grand is an expensive lesson, but then the cost of education goes up all the time.

·