The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Low beams are going on and off be themselves. My high beams and fog lights are all working correctly. When i have my lights on and the ebrake on there is no lights until you put the high beams on. The low beams work some times. I checked all of the connections and switch. I also checked for a low beam relay, but there is only one for the fog lights. Any Ideas?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Hey, i got it figured out. It was the dimmer switch on the steering coloum.

·
3,514 Posts
That happened on my ford. I haven't had any issue with the dodge, but I didn't even think to suggest that. Glad ya found the problem though.
Sean

B

·
0 Posts
I will have to remember that one. That is the first time I have heard of that problem on the 24v trucks. I have replaced a lot of headlight switches on 12v, but never had the problem of a dimmer going bad on the 24v trucks.

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
Any installed the HID conversion kit on these Dodges yet? I'm flirting around with the idea for my own christmas present to myself. Even though I should give my VP44 a FASS instead.

·
411 Posts
Forget the HID conversion and buy yourself one of these wiring harnesses from Summit.

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=AMC%2D509104&N=700+115&autoview=sku

Once you get one of those harnesses and get your lights running off the batteries instead of the cheap DC switch and wiring then get ya a set of Silver Star bulbs from Salvania. You should have about $100 in the lighting then and it will make a word of differance. Myself and Bouncer did this to our trucks and boy its night and day differance. I get bright lighted all the time on low beams. Even took off my Light Force light cause I didn't need them any more.

Then with all the money you saved from not doing the HID conversion you can buy that FASS for you VP. :Thumbup: :sly:

Seriously! The harness from Summit is money well spent.

DB

B

·
0 Posts
D_B said:
Forget the HID conversion and buy yourself one of these wiring harnesses from Summit.

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=AMC%2D509104&N=700+115&autoview=sku

Once you get one of those harnesses and get your lights running off the batteries instead of the cheap DC switch and wiring then get ya a set of Silver Star bulbs from Salvania. You should have about $100 in the lighting then and it will make a word of differance. Myself and Bouncer did this to our trucks and boy its night and day differance. I get bright lighted all the time on low beams. Even took off my Light Force light cause I didn't need them any more.

Then with all the money you saved from not doing the HID conversion you can buy that FASS for you VP. :Thumbup: :sly:

Seriously! The harness from Summit is money well spent.

DB
:stupid:

If you get one of those wiring harness, I can then tell you how to make a homemade BriteBox where your low beams stay on when you turn your high beams on for about $0.44 with a diode from Radio Shack.

B

·
0 Posts
dazed&confused said:
Ok so how hard are those to install?
20 minutes tops. Mount the two relays with a bolt through a exsisting hole in the left fender. Hook the two hot wires to your battery, they are fused. Unplug the left headlight harness from the bulb and plug it into the new wire harness. Then push one of the two ends of the new harness into the left bulb and mount the left side ground wire. Then run the rest of the harness over the top of the radiator following the wire loom already there from the factory. Unplug the right side assembly from the bulb, wrap with some tape, and leave there. Then plug the other assembly from the harness into the bulb and mount the ground wire. Wait for night time and enjoy. :Thumbup:

I strongly suggest adding Sylvania Silverstar bulbs when doing this. They are exceptionaly bright, shine farter down the road, and have a wider side to side range than any stock bulb. They are not cheap at about $30 a pair, but well worth it.

Do these two in combination with each other and you will think your brite lights are on when they are on low. PM me and I can tell you how to make a homemade brite box if you get the harness.

·
Cummins Man
980 Posts
Bouncer said:
20 minutes tops. Mount the two relays with a bolt through a exsisting hole in the left fender. Hook the two hot wires to your battery, they are fused. Unplug the left headlight harness from the bulb and plug it into the new wire harness. Then push one of the two ends of the new harness into the left bulb and mount the left side ground wire. Then run the rest of the harness over the top of the radiator following the wire loom already there from the factory. Unplug the right side assembly from the bulb, wrap with some tape, and leave there. Then plug the other assembly from the harness into the bulb and mount the ground wire. Wait for night time and enjoy. :Thumbup:

I strongly suggest adding Sylvania Silverstar bulbs when doing this. They are exceptionaly bright, shine farter down the road, and have a wider side to side range than any stock bulb. They are not cheap at about $30 a pair, but well worth it.

Do these two in combination with each other and you will think your brite lights are on when they are on low. PM me and I can tell you how to make a homemade brite box if you get the harness.

Thanks for the info Bill. You happen to know the part # for that kit?

Andy

·
Registered
1 Posts
Bill I am going to install this on my 1999 sd250, I would love to learn how to keep the low beams on with the high beams.

Alan

B

·
0 Posts
Lodgeman said:
Bill I am going to install this on my 1999 sd250, I would love to learn how to keep the low beams on with the high beams.

Alan

Are you referring to a Ford?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts