The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Who makes head studs, I know ARP does but are they the best bet for quality and holding power. Also what kind of boost are they designed to hold. I not wanting 65-70 psi boost pressure. Somewhere around 50-55 would be nice though, I think that would clean up mach 4's pretty well or would it not?

·
3,514 Posts
Arp's work pretty well, especially for the money. I've heard of "new age" studs which can be torqued to 150 Ft. Lbs. Vs. the 125 ft. lbs. of the ARP's. However the "new age" studs are supposed to cost somewhere in the $1000 range whereas the ARP studs cost about $450. With ARP's, you will be fine running 55psi boost. We actually ran mach 4's and an HRVP44 with a drag comp on my friends old 01, with no studs or o-rings and tried 2 different turbo set ups. An S300 and an HX40. Both made roughly 55psi boost so right in the range you're looking for.

To be entirely honest, 55psi came nowhere near clearing up the mach 4's with the HRVP. Set on stage 5, it would black out 3 lanes no problem. It would clear up alright with the box set on the lower levels. These were early mach 4's though, made in 01 or 02 I believe, and from what I know they've come a long ways since then. Hope this info helps.
Sean

·
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
sstockton said:
Arp's work pretty well, especially for the money. I've heard of "new age" studs which can be torqued to 150 Ft. Lbs. Vs. the 125 ft. lbs. of the ARP's. However the "new age" studs are supposed to cost somewhere in the $1000 range whereas the ARP studs cost about $450. With ARP's, you will be fine running 55psi boost. We actually ran mach 4's and an HRVP44 with a drag comp on my friends old 01, with no studs or o-rings and tried 2 different turbo set ups. An S300 and an HX40. Both made roughly 55psi boost so right in the range you're looking for.

To be entirely honest, 55psi came nowhere near clearing up the mach 4's with the HRVP. Set on stage 5, it would black out 3 lanes no problem. It would clear up alright with the box set on the lower levels. These were early mach 4's though, made in 01 or 02 I believe, and from what I know they've come a long ways since then. Hope this info helps.
Sean

Well I'm hoping the cool air that the twins are gonna put out will help out a lot. Maybe I should consider some mach 3's. This is gonna be a towing truck and i'm sick of the EGT's I'm getting from the jammers. I know their a crappy injector but still I usually cruise at 850 unloaded without the box on, in my opinion that's crap.

·
Registered
422 Posts
hey i thought this thread was kinda cool. I always wondered how far you could go on stock bolts and on just studs. Looks like there is alota room to grow into with just studs.

Click Here

·
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
StrokeThisGoat said:
hey i thought this thread was kinda cool. I always wondered how far you could go on stock bolts and on just studs. Looks like there is alota room to grow into with just studs.

Click Here

Damn!! I can't believe somebody made over 800 with studs and a stock head gasket in a 24v. Wow!!!:Thumbup:

B

·
0 Posts
Stock head bolts are good to 55psi. That does not mean the head gasket is though.

·
3,514 Posts
Bouncer said:
Stock head bolts are good to 55psi. That does not mean the head gasket is though.
Yeah head gaskets are kind of just a crap shoot.
Sean

1 - 8 of 8 Posts