The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Truck has been tea kettling for a few years. now it is puking coolant. Is it worth doing head studs, or should I swap to another engine like a cummins, or a 7.3. I would like to hear from guys who have done head stud and are making big power, interested in seeing success vs. failure rate.

·
Good on gas, hell on dzl
268 Posts
What are your goals? a certain number?

Head studs and an EGR delete will make the 6.0 reliable and capable of handling some abuse from a strong SCT tune, and spray. A regulated return fuel system wouldnt hurt either. Judging by your sig, those few mods will really bring a smile to your face.
Not sure what you consider big power, but BIG power requires injectors, fuel system and turbo(s). And real BIG power requires even more than that. It all depends on what your looking to get and how much you want to spend.
No one is gonna say swap to a 7.3 if you are looking for big power, unless you really want to spend some big money. Nothing wrong with a Cummins swap.

·
Dually Club #3
2,674 Posts
I would stay with the 6.0l and do the studs and EGR delete. You won't get the power like you would in a 5.9l but I am one of those true to roots kind of guys and like staying with the BLue Oval. I have studs on my truck and flog the CR&P out of it with Spartans Ultimate Free tune and it has run great. JMTC

·
3,306 Posts
It's worth doing studs, and doing studs with stock gaskets will hold up to 1000+ HP with supporting mods. Just ask eric at ID and shawn elerton(redneck6.0L)

·
illadvised and dangerous
405 Posts
I would make sure you check the heads and the block for flatness. It is very possible that if you have been driving with blown head gaskets that you either have cracked heads, warped heads, and or block issues. The key to them working is a clean flat mating surface. If you have that you should have no issues with studs and a egr delete

·
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
What are your goals? a certain number? About 400 HP at rear wheels and family daily driver reliability. I am poling people with big power to help me with my decesion. if people are running twelves in the quarter mile but haveing to replace gaskets every six months I would rather inatall a cummins. I luv the 6.0 sound and power, but hate the problems. have owned three 6.0 trucks all have leaked one leaked bone stock while driving it off of the dealer lot with less than 50 miles on the odometer. I have built some low 12 second 7.3 liter trucks.

·
SLAPS President
3,027 Posts
have owned three 6.0 trucks all have leaked one leaked bone stock while driving it off of the dealer lot with less than 50 miles on the odometer.
Jerry,

Which one was that??

·
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Jerry,

Which one was that??
The White one you helped me pick up Chuck it was leaking buy the time we got it to your house, and of course the predator made it much worse. Chuck how is yours doing with head studs? Would you recommend Studs?

·
286 Posts
I run h11s and i beat on mine, it holds up great.

·
SLAPS President
3,027 Posts
The White one you helped me pick up Chuck it was leaking buy the time we got it to your house, and of course the predator made it much worse. Chuck how is yours doing with head studs? Would you recommend Studs?

I didn't remember the white one puking until you put the Predator on it (but I have slept since then, so my memory is likely foggy on that).... I do remember it projectile puking like a drunk prom date when you stacked the Predator with the Quad 160 though!! LOL LOL

Mine has been running great with the studs.. I've put about 11K on it since the studs were done and most of those have been with my 39' 5er behind it and all of them with a tune of some sort on it. I definitely recommend doing the studs and deleting the EGR.

Come see us!

·
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I had forgot about stacking the Quad with the Predator. I dont reccomend stacking on a Six-O. I tried to make it to the christmas party, but would have been way late by the time I finished running my wife all over St. Louis to find a pair of shoes. I guess I'll do Head Studs, Injectors, upgrade the turbo, delete the EGR, installWater/Meth injection, and a bad *** program.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts