The Diesel Garage banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 99 that at times air will not blow out of the vents. The fan is running becuase it sounds like a tornado in the truck when it does it, which is usually on smooth roads. If the road is rough or you beat on the dash it will work fine. When it stops working, if you change it to all out the dash vents it will start working fine, then return it to defrost or floor and it stops agian, have checked vacum and it is fine. Had a ford tech work on it and he says there isnt anyway any door could block it off completely, any ideas?

·
Registered
281 Posts
deere puller said:
I have a 99 that at times air will not blow out of the vents. The fan is running becuase it sounds like a tornado in the truck when it does it, which is usually on smooth roads. If the road is rough or you beat on the dash it will work fine. When it stops working, if you change it to all out the dash vents it will start working fine, then return it to defrost or floor and it stops agian, have checked vacum and it is fine. Had a ford tech work on it and he says there isnt anyway any door could block it off completely, any ideas?
when you say it stops again, does the fan stop running or just the air flow.
Ive had heater problems with ALL my automobiles. ever spill a soda on the top of the dash?? that can gum up a vent flapper real bad.

worst case, pull out the blower motor, prop open the flap just behind that and see if anything changes...work in from there.

Keep warm~

·
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
the fan never stops, it works like it is supposed to. I bought it new and it hasnt had anything spilled on the dash.

·
The Guy Mom Warned About
2,568 Posts
I had the same thing happen in my '01. The "blend door" was stuck. So I drove all the way to work and froze my buns off. When I got to the jobsite I told my dad the heater wasn't working and wanted to take it to the dealer. He opened the door, hit the bottom of the dash just below the cup holder with his open hand and low and behold, my heater worked again. Haven't had any problems since.

·
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If you hit the dash it will work for a short time part of the time. I havent tried turning on the ac. I am wondering if when it is on the setting for all out the dash vents it is on recirculate, then when you put it on any of the other settings it is trying to get outside air, and maybe a piece of firewall insulation has fallen down in front of it. The dealer mechanic says you have to remove the fender to see if this is the prob, but he also says none of the doors could stick and completely block off all air flow, it has to go somewhere, cant block it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts