The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
750 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
06 F-450 guy had intermit heavy blue smoke so he bought it into my shop drove 12 miles to get there no real smoke. we put it on the laptop and it had cylinder 3 conrbution fault. but it was running on all 8. I thought maybe 3 was sticking intermit and causing the smoke so we were going to do an injector, but when he went to leave the thing all the sudden started smoking so bad that i could not see the truck or any of the houses and when he let off to stop it was chugging. I figure turbo seals but i dont know why the chugging when i started it to pull it into the shop it was hitting on all 8 just sounded a little off key.
This truck does have the egr deleted! I dont know where else that much oil could be crossed into the system that fast other then the turbo. any thoughts?

·
3,051 Posts
Faulty injector may have washed a cylinder or torched the piston, hopefully not. Turbo seals is what causes blue smoke on most of these when it's running normal like you mentioned. Cyl #3 contribution fault usually means that injector is worn out.

Is the motor oil diluted with fuel as far as you can tell?

Harry

·
750 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
no dilution

No dilution that i can tell the oil is low most likely from burning it

·
Stuck in Commiefornia...
1,296 Posts
When the turbo on my buddy's '06 failed and the turbine wheel departed the shaft, the oil was forced into the turbine housing past the shaft seal. You'd have thought he was being paid for mosquito abatement for the amount of smoke that was coming out of the truck. Being a stubborn old man, he drove it 14 miles to my place to drop it off for me to fix it for him. It only burned/pushed about 6 quarts of oil in the exhaust. It was a wonder he got it to me, it had no power.

It's possible you have two failures at once, a turbine shaft seal or VGT actuator seal putting oil in the exhaust, ad an injector at the same time. I'd pull the #3 injector for inspection, failed o-rings can allow HP oil into the fuel side of the injector. O-ring kits being cheap, I'd have one on hand for a quick test if the stock units are suspect on inspection. If the injector looks good but you deem the o-rings need replacement, reinstall the injector and run a physical compression test, #3 should be within 10% of the highest or lowest cylinder tested of the eight. If the injector appears to have any tip damage, you should still run a compression test with the stock injector, then replace the injector and run the engine and do a cylinder contribution test. If it passes all this, it's probably losing oil from the turbine.

Sent by my right thumb!

Reactions: harry6.0
1 - 4 of 4 Posts